FREE TB exposed fish - NC - shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Given the possibility of bag breakage en route, and the letter carriers having no ability to consent to the even slight possibility of being exposed to the disease, I feel like shipping these fish anywhere would be tremendously irresponsible.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Given the possibility of bag breakage en route, and the letter carriers having no ability to consent to the even slight possibility of being exposed to the disease, I feel like shipping these fish anywhere would be tremendously irresponsible.
Hm, I hadn't thought of that possibility. :(

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I still don't believe that fish TB is much of a threat to humans unless you cut your hand in the tank and then don't wash it. Most people don't do that.
Even if you do get it, antibiotics will take care of it. Not like it kills people (that I know of).
I doubt anyone else will be able to take them, but good luck to you.

I grew up with tons of turtles, snakes, and other reptiles and amphibians. The risk for a small child getting salmonela is much greater than getting fish TB. yet, we never had any problems in my house because we learned to wash our hands properly.
My experience with fish TB is a bit different than your description. But my experience is just that, experience. Experience trumps belief every time.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The bag's going to break and then the damp cardboard is going to make the postman have a skin infection? I just find it hard to believe.

Reefkeepers keep all sorts of stinging and poisonous things in their tank. They wear gloves and take precautions. The same could be done with an infected tank. How contagious do we know it to be anyway? If you use a net in the infected tank and then leave it to air dry and then use it 4 days later is the bacteria still going to be on it? I kind of don't think it will be (but I don't know).

If someone wanted to take these fish, that would be up to them...full disclosure here. There are people who adopt cats with feline leukemia. There could be people who adopt fish with fish TB, you never know?

So I personally commend the effort...even though I think it is unlikely they will find homes, unfortunately. It's hard enough to rehome a common pleco, etc.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
If you use a net in the infected tank and then leave it to air dry and then use it 4 days later is the bacteria still going to be on it? I kind of don't think it will be (but I don't know).
Ehhh... not a good idea. I'd use net disinfectant, then let it dry, and never use that net for any other tank.

So, obviously posting this thread wasn't a great idea. Even aside from the potential problems people have pointed out, not everyone is used to practicing sterile technique with their tanks well enough for it to work out.

I'm going to pm a mod to just close this.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
It's not that I don't know how to practice sterilization, I am just posing a hypothetical question - can the bacterial spores or whatever resist being dried? I just think it would be good to find this out, because no matter how careful you are there are going to be splashes and spills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store