The 265gal Reef Build (and other associated nonsense)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
In that case, this color...maybe?

Caribbean-Green.gif

Caribbean-Green.gif

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
That is really almost an impossible call to make until the tank is running. Whatever color you pick, short of black or white, is not going to look the same color when the aquarium lighting is running.

I wish I had an original sample of the color when I picked it, but the color on paper vs the color once painted on an aquarium and put under different lighting had very different looks. The color I picked was called "Deep Ocean Blue" when I bought it, and it looked a deep blue w/ touch of green but when placed under a 10k light it looked completely different, and using a different ballast also changed the color significantly, still using the same bulb.

I understand this is for your wall, not the aquarium, but I still think the color you see on the sample sheet vs what the actual color will look like once the aquarium lighting is running the in room is going to be a lot different.

Just look at the background colors, pay no attention to the tank. Same bulb, different ballast, same color background.

No water/light, just room light. Wish I had a better pic.

10k @ 250w

10k @ 375w

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah Ace its amazing how much the color can change. I picked out background colors for cloth backgrounds on all the tanks that used to be in the fishwall, it always surprised me how they never really looked how I expected them to look once hung on the wall. Besides, with SPS-level lighting (eventually) over the tank, even if we go fairly light on the wall its going to look a lot darker than it really is because your eyes would adjust to the light level looking at the tank.

Finding Amphiprion ocellaris
Mar 10, 2008
Connecticut
www.lizcaron.com
we were talking about a gray for the wall, we want the tank to be the focus of the wall, not the wall color so we want to go with something that will fade into the background a little when the lights are on. Possibly with some type of intresting finish on it......although I am totally doubting my abilities on that front.

I think we will go with fabric for the back of the tank because the maintenance will have to take place from behind the tank so we need to be able to see into the tank. It really makes cleaning a lot easier when you can see what you are up to.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have fabric backgrounds on both my 55's (granted they are only 1/5 the size of your tank) and i love them! so easy to work around for tank maintenance, and if you get bored of one colour it's very easy to switch it out (or if the fabric needs washing - a very likely need with sw!). i used sticky back velcro to attach them to the tank - one long strip all the way across the top rim, and a small piece on each bottom corner. i put the loop part of the velcro on the fabric and the hook part on the tank - means the velcro won't stick to itself or anything else when washing the fabric.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
AMAZING :clap:

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
have you considered a medium beige for the wall colour? I've been painting houses for a few years and Ive found with awkward lighting situations (like a super bright fish tank in the middle of the focus wall) or dark spaces/bad lighting for the layout, a "builders beige" type shade still changes when your eyes are adjusted to different light levels/areas, but not nearly as much as other colors, and to me it seems to blend a lot better when presented with that major light level change in the center.

only thing is matching any wall colour to that floor... hmm... ill leave it to you ;)
beautiful tank though! send some corals up to snowy old Canada :)

edit: took another long look at the tank and area, and if i were planning this space for a client, i would be running a black fabric background and a medium-light beige. the black will definitly help to blend with the tiles, and the beige will darken just enough (when the tank lights are on) to match the tank and tile. just another thought!

Last edited:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Tank is in place! I had a few guys from my local reef club come over tonight plus a few other friends, and we got it into the basement.

You can sort of see it loaded on the front of the tractor here, carrying it down from the shed to the house:

And in place on the stand:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store