the Craigslist 55g Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Thanks you all for the kind words.

I know I'm not showing many pictures for a Gallery post but they'll start coming along as I get more into it.

I'll keep track of all the progress on here. I just hope I can remember to bring the camera when I'm doing it.

The next thing I have planned is to sand/rough up and repaint the stand. It looks nice as is but I think it'll be even better painted black.

Last edited:

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
lol!!!! but i dont think you need to paint the stand black!!! the stand looks VERRY nice where/how it is now!!!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Wondering what I should do about substrate (just cleaned up dog puke :yuck: so I think I'll be up for a bit longer).

I have:
- a 2 gallon pail full of marble (~0.5" diameter) sized pebbles that came with the tank
- fine gravel (BB sized) from an old fish tank
- play sand
- a bag of Flourite and
- the Flourite/Flora Base mix in the 20g right now.

I want to use some sand for the corys to play in but would also like to keep it planted while using as much of the stuff I have.

Thinking maybe a layer of Flourite on the bottom of the whole tank and putting whatever on top of that around the tank. I'm thinking of having areas of sand, the fine gravel in the back and sides for plants, and a mixture of pebbles and fine gravel around the driftwood.

Should make for some interesting substrate texturing. I'm picturing it in my head and it looks terrific, but execution is always a whole 'nother story.

Maybe I'll draw up a picture of it tomorrow when I have free time.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
ground plans:

I don't know why but I think it'll look better with pebble/gravel where the driftwood contacts the "ground".

Areas with G will be planted. I may have patches of G in the S for little islands of plants like HM or E. tenellus.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
cool!!!!!!! this is going to be fun to watch!!!!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
IMHO don't use play sand in aquariums. Some is treated with chemicals to deter pests. I use landscape sand after thoroughly rinsing it.

I had the very same issue with my latest Craigslist purchase. The guy said it was a 55 and it turned out to be a 40 long. It was only $25 so I went ahead and took it.

Glad to see you got a great deal on that tank. That's the kind of deal I always tell people to look for and the ones that I usually find.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Nolapete: will check up on the sand. I'm pretty sure it's safe since I used it with MTS and ramshorns and they were fine. But will check again to be safe.

hahaha...I realized my plans look kind of like a color by number/letter things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store