The Oto Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Photos from today (06/03):

Batch of eggs found yesterday (06/02):
eggs1_060309.JPG

New eggs found today. A total of (5) new eggs were discovered today.
eggs2_060309.JPG

Baby photo from 06/03:
babies2_060309.JPG

Bonus shot: Flowering plant discovered today (06/03)
flower_060309.JPG

eggs1_060309.JPG eggs2_060309.JPG babies2_060309.JPG flower_060309.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Heading out of town shortly for the weekend so there will be no hatching updates. I did a top off and quick spot check. A few of the eggs are beginning to hatch. Hopefully when I get back on Sunday, there will be tons of wiggle waggles around.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
06/07: Got home a bit ago. Finally decided to go down and check in on them. Only found (6) wigglers. I did find (11) new eggs though. Snails are still acting funny. Not much activity from them guys. Got a water change scheduled for tomorrow. Do some major renovations as well.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
06/08: Tank cleanup in progress. Flushed out a lot of wee ones when I was clearing out duckweed. I dunked the carpet of ricca a few times to free it from everything else. It is laying up top of alot of different plants. After a couple minutes, I noticed quite a few little ones (freshly hatched) on the side glass where I was working. Progress continues.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
06/17:

Not much of an update. My father has been in the hospital and all my time has been taken up by work and there. I have done absolutely nothing with the tank unfortunately except dropping some food in there. No plant dosing or even a water change. I did notice two wigglers on the glass last night when I fed. So that is somewhat of a good sign. Looks like Saturday may be my first good chance of working on it.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry to hear about your father. Wishes for his speedy recovery!
I'm sure your little otos are just hanging out growing. Keep the updates coming when you can.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
you appear to have some ridiculously happy otos

jenazen69

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
buffalo, NY
msn.com
It's so nice to hear of someone having success with difficult to breed fish. Hope everything with your Dad turns out ok. Keep us posted on whats happening when you can. I will be looking forward to seeing your continued updates.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
06/18: Thanks all for your well wishes for my father. He is out of the hosp and in a rehab clinic now getting better every day. Word of caution. Hypercalcium is a very nasty thing.

On the Oto front. Got home earlish today and was able to finally to maintenance on it...but alas...too late for some. I had to stop by the store to get some spring water to use for the water change. It has been raining like crazy here and the well water is still brownish. More rain to come too!

Lost all the snails. :( I will search for replacements later this evening. The little babies loved working their shells over. I did loose several wigglers as well.

On the bright side of things. Mom and dad are still doing well. I found one egg prior to doing the water change. Shortly after wards (within about 15 mins) I found (5) more eggs. Mama still laying them so that is good.

As for babies: I now have (3) that I will classify as juevenilles. The original one and two others that are now just over 1/4". There are also at least (4) wigglers. I believe there are more I think I counted (6) a little while ago but just now I only found (4).

Tons of shrimp still here. Found more itty biddies as well. A good number that are about 1/4".

DIY Co2 is drained...as to be expected. Jell-o in the fridge as I type. Fert dosing to resume in the morning.

Plants are still in disarray after I started to trim and such. The crypt jungle has two new additions forming. As well, I'm not sure of the plant at the moment but it has off shoots sprouting up from the substrate all over too. If you look in the previous pics, it is the long leaved one that looks similar to a Val.

That's it for now. Water test scheduled for tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store