The Oto Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
07/15: Finally got in there and pretty much finished up the trim. I would up pulling two big wads of plants to seperate and trim. Will add a couple more back in but the rest will have to go.

Did a water test as well:

Temp: 78 slight jump from where I want it. Need to work on this.
PH: ~ 7.4
NO3: 40
NO2: 0
NH3: 0
GH: 12
KH: 7

As for the occupants, all is doing well. I saw both parents and all babies. All snails active as well.

Here's some pics:

I took this one after I started the trimming. Shows the DIY Co2 as well.

Some shots of the younguns:

Little one hangin out with older sibling:

This is where I left the tank yesterday. I'll be adding some additional plants to the left side as soon as I figure out what I want to replace the lost ones with.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
outstanding job..Otocinclus are very difficult to breed
:thm::thm:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Zucchini's are always presenting good photo ops....Here's papa Oto and friends.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
07/22: Made it home in time to check in on things. Still no new arrivals. All others still doing well. So eight Oto's currently occupy the tank. 2 adults and 6 juvies.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
07/27: Still shuffling between work and the rehab center for my father. Time still not on my side to really work on the tanks. I did recharge the CO2. Didn't have much jell-o left so this bottle probably won't last very long. Will get some new made up and ready to go. Zuc's a nukin. I did go in and turn the light to check in on everyone. All is well. Snails cruisin about. Young Oto's continue to grow and very active (for what I saw today).

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Great, great James! Maybe it's even working to your advantage to just let them alone a bit more. You sure are having good success!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
8/12: Been a while since I have updated this. Time is still not quite on my side but getting better. Pops has made it home from rehab but the cancer continues to take its toll.

As for the tank..I haven't spotted any new wigglers or eggs in quite a while. Most tank parameters are still the same except the temp which is still hovering around 78. Can't seem to get it back down to 74. I'm affraid to turn the heat off completely just in case I am not able to keep a good eye on it.

I still have the parents and (6) juvies. All very active. Three of them where working over one of the briggs yesterday...and wouldn't ya know it...I didn't have my camera down there at the time.

I'm also wondering if over crowding could be an issue. My yellows have been doing very well in here as well. I will need to thin the crypt jungle too. Quite a few new plants are popping up.

As for the briggs...I think one of them is smuggling in steroids somehow. He has just exploded in size compared to the others. I have download the recent pics.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
08/16: Great news! Morning check today....mamma exploded (well...not literally of course :)). Found at least (14) eggs. All over the crypt jungle. Was so excited that I forgot to look at the temp as that is the one variable that was off at the moment.

Funny thing about that....I think they may be mind readers somehow. Why you ask? I was down there yesterday and was telling myself that today I need to thin the jungle just in case it was too crowded for them.

Yea!! And I was getting worried that she done. Guess mom and dad made up.

Pics to follow.

:dance:

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
just saw this thread this morning, great job!! I enjoyed reading about your baby oto's!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store