The Rescued Goldfish Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
So as many of you know, I took in a comet from a guy at work who had him in a little bowl for the last year or so. He started out in my 10 gal QT tank, and I had intentions of putting him in the 75 gal tropical tank temporarily until his pond is built (ok, not just HIS pond, but he was the incentive to really get moving on my plans). Anyhow I just wasn't comfortable with putting him in with my other fish, both for their safety and for his. So I talked my honey into a 40 gal breeder at the Petco sale. We built a cinderblock/plywood stand, put a nice cover on it, and this is how it all went down:

Cutting the plywood 3/4" thick, 2'x4' length to start with:

Painting the top piece - 2 coats primer, 4 or 5 coats white paint to finish it:

Finished painting, stand put together:

Another angle, next to the 75 gal:

Rinsed pool filter sand:

The tank on the stand:

Filling the tank on the stand (did a leak test outside first):

Filled and with the skirt attached (used stickyback velcro to attach the skirt - sewed around all the edges to make it nice, and to ensure it won't fray. Velcro also ensures ease of removal for cleaning purposes):

Hermes floating in the tank - wanted to make sure the temp leveled out before releasing him:

Hermes in the tank this morning:

A FTS:

I'm wondering if I can give him a friend or two (maybe a couple rosy reds??) Would that be OK in this setup? Or would that cause issues? The tank is being filtered right now with the Whisper 3 that normally is the backup filter for my 75 gal. It is fully cycled. However, I have a Perfect filter on the way. According to the tracking info, that will arrive Thursday. I'll put that side-by-side with this current filter for a while to seed it, and then will be putting the whisper in storage since I bought a 2nd Perfect filter which will take its place on the 75 gal. I'm really not a fan of the Whisper, but I'll hang onto it in the event that I need it at some point later on. But back to my question - can that 265 gph filter on this 40 gal breeder support more than just one small comet? I am hoping he will grow, but as he's already nearing 2 years old and only 3 or so inches long, I know he's severely stunted and won't reach his full potential. I also feel like he could use a friend or two. Any input there is welcome. :)

Thanks much!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great job! I think a friend can't hurt, especially with a pond on the way.

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
please don't take this a critisisimn

do you have some lateral bracing for your tank a 40 gallon breeder + i am gessing 30 pounds of sand is almost what 350 - 400 pounds?

i am a carpenter *wow creative name huh?* and i live in earth quake country.
seeing these beautiful tanks on cinderblocks worries me a little for them.

i don't mean that in any negative way your tank looks very nice. and the skirt work up that you have is very much a good touch.

but like i said some times people don't seem to realize how heavy any thing more than 60 pounds is. go to your local harware store and go pick up 2 50 pound boxes of nails and then realize that there is potentially 4 times that much weight in your tank.

also i have had freinds injured when the cars they were working on fell off of the cinderblocks they were useing as jack stands.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Hmmm... Well, this was suggested by another member on here as being one of the safest and most sturdy methods of hosting a tank. I'm not sure what I should do to help make it sturdier? It is very heavy. I know. If I need to change anything, I will - but I am not very knowledgeable with this stuff, so I could certainly have done it wrong.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have 135 gal tanks on the same set up. other than a 2x6 frame between the blocks and plywood..no issues for years...and I mean years....longer than most of you have been alive. Get out the calculator....spread the weight of a small 40 breeder over the surface area of a cinder block as she has them placed...

40 gallons...320 lbs plus 50 lbs of sand...plus 30 lbs for the tank....at worst 450 lbs....

two stacks of cinder blocks...each having about 30 sq in in contact with the floor...so 60 sq inches transmitting 450 lbs to the floor...so 8 lbs per square inch...about a fourth of typical floor construction requirements nation wide. And it is even further spread out with the plywood footing she has...pfffttt...

fresh2o

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
A bit too late but I would have doubled the number of cinder blocks. Granted...they are not bound to each other, however, placing then side by side in a group would provide some lateral support. I don't live in earth quake country but I do have kids.
Tank looks nice and yes, the goldfish looks lonely.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
No lateral support required for such a small set up...unless her house is on a rail system..lol

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
The house is not on a rail system. :) It's actually a cement slab that it's sitting on, well with about 2" of carpet and padding on top of it.

What lateral bracing did you do between them Rob? Is it something I can do now, or would I need to disassemble and do it?

It felt VERY sturdy when we were testing it out prior to putting the tank on it. But I'm sure that could be deceiving.

We put the blocks 4" in from the edge of the plywood on either side and 2" in from the edge of the plywood on the front and back. The tank is another inch in on the plywood, so the blocks are 3" in and 1" in respectively on the tank itself. I thought that would be the most even spread for the weight. The plywood is 3/4" thick, and seemed very sturdy as well, but again, I could be wrong on how I put it all together. I'm certainly no expert.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
He looks so cute in his new tank! Good for you for rescuing him.
Re: the friends question, I hear that goldies are very social in terms of members of their own species, so maybe better than rosy reds would be another (baby) goldfish (or two). I say this on the assumption that everyone will go in a pond in the near future. The 40 gal would be ok for 3 young fancy-type goldies, for a little while at least.
(The goldfish sticky here says: "With the number of goldfish suggested at three as the possible minimum, a 55g would be a best starting point for fancy goldfish whereas 75g would be the minimum for at least two to three pond types.")
Anyway, if you get him some buddies, please post more pics :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think your stand is perfectly fine the way it is...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store