The Rescued Goldfish Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Well, I don't want to assume that the pond will be finished on schedule. Projects never go as scheduled, so I'm not comfortable putting too much strain on the 40 gal with fish that could easily outgrow it if they are in it too long. That's why I was thinking rosy reds or maybe white clouds. Something that will not get big, but can still keep this guy company in a cold water setup, and something that can live in the pond once it is set up and running. Ideally that will be late next spring, but again, I don't want to assume that all will go as planned.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
White clouds would be nice.....

modri rogatec

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Great job for rescuing him :)
But since you said that you are planning to move him to a pond soon I would suggestyou get one more goldfish.
WCMMs are great fish and they can provide versatility in a colder water tank but they will only be there for you - goldfish really prefer company of other goldfish, they don't care about other fish. So if you are going to get some WCMMs - well that is great, but the goldie will still not be able to interact with other goldies...
Just my opinion of course, but I would buy another goldie and than they could both go into pond when it's built :) Or better yet - save another goldie from a bowl :)

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
please don't get me wrong i wasn't saying any thing bad just a matter of not knowing every thing on my end that there is on your end.

the stand is prolly fine if you checked it for stability and okayed it then it is ok :). just saying i have had friends severly hurt and co-workers hurt some dead cuz they only thought about one direction :)
by the way i am one of those people who will pull up next to you and let you know that your tires are low on the pasenger side left over saftey habits from the jobs. that's all :)

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I definitely appreciate the input. No offense taken or anything. I am not an expert on much of anything, and building is certainly at the bottom of the list of what I have talent for. If it isn't simple. I probably won't even try it. :)

Anyhow, I will continue to keep an eye on it and if I notice anything that seems problematic I will see what I can do to help. I may purchase more cinder blocks and reinforce the stand with another stack or two of them, but we'll see.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Anybody have thoughts on whether or not a young shubunkin would put me over for stocking this? What about still adding a couple of rosy reds or white clouds? I don't want to get too aggressive with stocking, but at the same time it just looks so empty with one little fish in there.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
In that case, would perhaps one young shubunkin work in this setup with him? What if they have to be in there a year? Would it still be sufficient for them?
I've heard, for fancies, the bare minimum recommendation is 30 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons for every fish thereafter.

The goldfish sticky here (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205381) recommends 55 gallons as a minimum for 3 fancies--and that's for long-term housing.

I'd say that you'd be fine for a year with two fancies in the 40, as long as you keep up with your weekly water changes.

That said, good for you for being responsible and thinking twice before overstocking your tank. It's always better to err on the side of understocking IMHO. But, with social fish, I also think it's important to consider their behavioral needs. Goldies are technically a shoaling fish (like most cyprinids), but few people have the space to maintain a very large group.

If it were my judgment call, I'd add a second (but not a third) goldie as a compromise between not overstocking and still giving the current guy some social interaction.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Water changes are not an issue, but I don't want to get in a position where I need to buy another tank if something happens to put the pond plans on hold. I can't predict what might happen financially (job loss, major house expense, etc), so I need to make sure whatever I add can be housed long-term if needed. That is why I initially thought of rosy reds or white clouds. How long can a shubunkin and this comet be housed in the 40 gallon before it becomes an issue? Can it turn into a long-term setup, or do I need to consider other options? I really prefer to plan ahead and be prepared for whatever might come. All my tanks are understocked. I prefer it that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store