Thinking about joining the army.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Tec, here's my $.02: I think anybody working 40+ hrs/wk AND going to school has demonstrated plenty of self-discipline already. In fact I suspect what you are in the middle of is burnout. Been there, done that, got the tshirt...but I gave in to it and "went off to have adventures." And got married. And never got the degree. This turns out not to have been a good decision.

I know the economy sucks right now (o believe me I know, just lost one of my jobs the other day) and things look pretty bleak all around. But if this was something you truly wanted to do--for itself, not just to be "something different"--you wouldn't be here asking us about it. You would have been to the recruiting office and signed up already.

You don't mention here what you're in school for--what degree--or how much longer you have to go to graduation. I don't care if its a BS in basket weaving, but HANG IN THERE AND GET THAT DIPLOMA. Grit your teeth and keep the nose to the grindstone and use that self-discipline to get through this rough spot.

Spend time with your GF doing cheap/free stuff like taking walks or exploring different neighborhoods or going to a museum or something, while you tell her about this and listen to what she thinks about it. And what she wants to do about her situation for that matter. Have her read what justhannah said above...some cold hard reality about what a military career can do to a relationship and to both people involved.

One last note: when/if you do go to the recruiting office, go to all the services and see who will give you the best deal. And don't believe a single solitary word any recruiter tells you--about benefits now or in the future, about what specialty they'll guarantee to get you into, about anything at all-- unless they document it in writing on paper. They're not as desperate these days since the economy tanked as they were a few years ago but you sound like prime material.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Breeze, and hannah, thank you for your input. I've heard a few married people talk about the housing thing. Now... in order for my better half to have a place to stay on government money I'm assuming we have to already be married when I sign up? I'm confused and I can't find much solid info about on any of the websites.
oh for her to have housing, she will need to be legally married to you to qualify for couples housing. just dating and she'll be the one needing to pay for off post housing.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Jeremiah and I weren't even engaged when he signed up...we were at that "How serious do we want to get?" point when he made that decision and I almost left him over it, I've never envied or wanted to be a military wife...but he's worth the heartache that comes with it (considering he's not the direct cause, just his current career choice). We were engaged before he went to basic training, and then we got married while he was home for Christmas break while he was still in AIT. 6 months later, we actually got to honeymoon when he got his permanent post :p. For Fort Lewis, we qualified for on-base housing but there was a 7 month long waiting list and I wanted to live off base anyway (I like my privacy and wanted to be closer to my college) so we had an apartment for a while, and then we bought a house right before he left so he'd have a real home to come back to. If you don't get the free housing on base, they do give you a housing stipend based on the area around your post, and for our area we found that we could get a nicer place on the stipend with a little left over (which doesn't quite cover utilities and whatnot, but we're comfortable) than the housing offered on base.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
You don't mention here what you're in school for--what degree--or how much longer you have to go to graduation. I don't care if its a BS in basket weaving, but HANG IN THERE AND GET THAT DIPLOMA. Grit your teeth and keep the nose to the grindstone and use that self-discipline to get through this rough spot.
I'm going to school for an associates degree in Information Technology & Network Administration. I'm about halfway done with the program. When I was younger I took a year or three off from my studies because I didn't' have the discipline or direction that I have now and didn't care. Really the biggest reason that made me go back is that I needed 60 credits to to accepted into NYPD, if they did decide to call me. The IT industry is flooded and I will most likely not be able to get any kind of good job with just an associates degree. If the military could teach me some kind of marketable job skill, that would mean to world to me, in my mind.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Get the degree and start speaking to recruiters to gather information.

Also speak with captcaveman and Ch-47--they are GREAT resources for you and are willing to help!

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
You sound just like my brother 10yrs ago when he was about your age. He ended up joining the navy. It was the best thing he ever did for himself. The navy completely transformed him, and he is now very successful, happy, and makes $$$$$. However this is a huge decision to make. Do a lot of soul searching, talk to family members and close friends. I wish you much luck!

CornBreadjiffy

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Memphis, TN
Me personally I would not cause of the things going on right now and I personally know to many friends and loved ones who have not made it back and some who have are completely different. But it is your call, you are the one who has to serve and indure whatever may come across your path. Good luck and if you do decide may GOD be with you always.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i try not to sign up for things that might kill me but to each their own.

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
Wow... I just now realized I titled this thread "Think about joining the army." opposed to "Thinking about joining the army." :rofl: ...oops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store