this a good price?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
A few days ago, one of my teachers offered to sell me an 18 gal. fish tank with everything included except for the fish for $75. Is this a good buy or not?

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
I don't know what brand any thing is. All I know is that it's hexagon in shape and has the lights, filter, and a metal stand for it included with it.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i bought a 55g from a friend for $100 it included the tank, hood, 2 HOB filters (Since replaced with fluval 304), lights, tons of chemicals, rocks, UGF, 4 air pumps, lots of big rocks and plants(plastic) and tons other miscellaneous materials (tubing, air stones, etc.).

the other day i saw this guy selling a 240g tank for only $50 i should of bought it 4 my pacus but dont have the time/space to keep that tank.

aljen

AC Members
Apr 1, 2001
alsace0.tripod.com
In order for your teacher to avoid ethical issues when selling to you, a student, the offer must be fair. Do you think your "teacher" can be ethical when making a sale to a student?

BTW, are you old enough to enter into a binding contract where you live?

Last edited:

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Actually thinking about it, it's probably isn't a good deal because you can get a 30 gallon tank with the hood, light, filter, heater, and thermometer for less then $75. Also, hexagons are not as good as a rectangle tank because they have less surface area for fish to swim in and has less oxygen.

Last edited:

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
She didn't ask me if I wanted to buy it from her, I asked about it and said I'd think about it. If it wasn't what I wanted when I saw it I'd tell her so. I'm old enough to do a contract here.

I still think it's a good deal though. She used to keep fish for a while and gave up. A tank set up here for just a 10 gallon tank cost me around $79 for the tank, filter and hood light along with the stand seperate. I don't really need a lot of surface area in the tank, just something bigger then a 10 for my angel and pleco, which I'm thinking of selling. Most of the tanks I have at the moment, aside from three, are on dressers. I plan on looking at the tank before I decied to buy it. If I don't decied to get it, she plans on selling it in the classifieds.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Woah, relax there, I was just giving my opinion like you asked. You would need surface area especially if you had a pleco, depending on what kind, can get quite large.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i would say no dont buy it unless u have your heart set on it. i dont think its a very good deal.

Frank_Carr

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
Visit site
It's not really a good deal since you can buy a standard 20 gallon tank for about the same price, fully equipped, from the chain pet stores or WalMart (assuming you're in the US that is).

Usually you can find used tanks fairly cheap (I've picked up a couple of used ones for under $10) and get new accessories to go with them. Yard sales and storage garage auctions are the best places to find used tanks at rock bottom prices.

Also, 18 gallons is going to still be a size problem eventually for a pleco and an angel. I'd suggest holding off until you find something 30 gallons or better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store