Tiger Barb advice please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would think hard before adding more barbs. Like you said, this bunch has been together for a while. They may pick on new 1s especially if they're smaller. Can you tell the genders yet? How many of each? Females are often more interested in food than fighting ;) Plus since they're fatter they swim a bit slower. Males tend to be a bit more aggressive to other males & when trying to get females to breed. Any time you add new fish there's risks but it sounds like you may have a quarantine tank? That is great if you do.

Corys are fine feeding in the dark when barbs tend to sleep. So if you feel like you're having to feed "too much" so all get food, you can give some pellets etc after tank light are out or even room lighting is almost off. It'll take some time for you to get the amount of food right with the new fish additions as the new corys grow.

As for color varieties, the fish can tell they're all the same species. But greens & albinos are likely genetically a little weaker from inbreeding, just IMO. But they are all pond bred these days. I prefer natural fish colors most of the time.

FF, did you add all of yours at the same time each time?

Risqueee

AC Members
Sep 13, 2021
I would think hard before adding more barbs. Like you said, this bunch has been together for a while. They may pick on new 1s especially if they're smaller. Can you tell the genders yet? How many of each? Females are often more interested in food than fighting ;) Plus since they're fatter they swim a bit slower. Males tend to be a bit more aggressive to other males & when trying to get females to breed. Any time you add new fish there's risks but it sounds like you may have a quarantine tank? That is great if you do.

Corys are fine feeding in the dark when barbs tend to sleep. So if you feel like you're having to feed "too much" so all get food, you can give some pellets etc after tank light are out or even room lighting is almost off. It'll take some time for you to get the amount of food right with the new fish additions as the new corys grow.

As for color varieties, the fish can tell they're all the same species. But greens & albinos are likely genetically a little weaker from inbreeding, just IMO. But they are all pond bred these days. I prefer natural fish colors most of the time.

I’m not the best at sexing fish, but I suspect I have a majority of females, which may help explain why they’re so generally chill. I added them all at the same time, yeah. Also added them last in my initial stocking, which could be why they’ve always ignored the pandas. Thats a good suggestion about the cories, I forgot catfish are usually nocturnal!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, in general, females are chubbier in the stomach area & a little larger overall. Males often have red noses & brighter colors especially in the fins. A majority of females should be good...unless you only have 2 males...the worst possible number IME. 1 or 4 is much safer longer term.

Can you post some pics? I think you have enough posts to be able to do that. We may be able to help sex them. & we love to see other's tanks ;)

My opinion, again, is don't add any fish for good while. See what happens with aggression & feeding issues. Our tanks are for the long term, or should be. Go slow!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
With the regular TBs I bought them all together and added them all together. With the green barbs I have, I took one in from from a local person and mail ordered 8 more given I couldn't find any locally at the time. I was wrong about having one GB left, I've got two. The adult sized adopted one and a smaller mail ordered one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store