Tiny Freshwater Fish-Discussion Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I love Heterandria formosa as a choice, but technically, they should be in the livebearer section, though many call them the "least killifish".

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Just saw the new list...looking good, but I have a question...did the Mosquitofish switch genera recently? Or are these different from the U.S. and Central American Gambusia spp?

Also, I believe the spelling is Phalloceros.

Just little things--the big picture is clear, well-done, and becoming better with each incarnation.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Thanks Chil! I will look into correcting that asap. These are different, but both can be generically called mosquito fish. Recently twenty-one new species were added to the genus, so I have to watch out as they become described to make sure someone doesn't end up getting a rare livebearer and putting it in an inappropriate tank.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I realize this thread is a fossil but it came up during a Google search for a new fish I'm bringing in on Monday. Micropoecilia minima out of Brazil. I have 50 coming in to check them out.I'll try to get pics up when they settle in.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Thanks SubRosa, I love it when people drag threads out of the archives that date back to long before I joined the site. :)

You must have been the one who mentioned the Micropoecilia minima as I spent some time yesterday looking them up, havng never heard of them before. I am a livebearer junkie so will definitely keep an eye out when you have these ready. The pix I saw in the search were...confusing. Four pictures claiming to depict the same species but none of them looked anything like the others? Not a good thing for one already easily confused. :)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I made a slight error! The fish aren't coming from the regular Brazil station but out of the station at Belem. The lead time from Belem is 10 days so they won't be in this monday but next monday, the 22nd. I'll keep you posted!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store