tips on painting a tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Zazz...can you post a picture of what this looks like?
well, here is the first pic. I don't know that you can tell much. I stirredup a lot of "dust" moving plants out of the way. Also took pic with my cell phone which went in the water with me yesterday collecting those plants!.>>
those are my first two excuses, lets see how the picture looks and I may come up with more

background.jpeg

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
well, what does show is the place where I didn't adhear the paper completely. A long bubble, in the middle running NW to SE.
It's usually hidden behind plants.I think it's a great method. this was my first attempt. You can mess around with it because it does wipe off easily.
other irregularities are intentional. just due to the swirly mixing of color. It's an all over dark bluegreen, just shadowy. You could let more colors show if you like by just blending less. I am thinking of taking this off (with a razor blade ) and redoing it in a color that goes better wth the gravel...
when the water clears i'll try to get a better picture. the backgound coesnt look like much, it was supposd to, you know, fade into the background...;)

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
For painting, I use a few coats of a high-VOC spray enamel.

Surface prep is key.

I actually run 600-grit wet/dry paper on the glass pane I wish to paint. It doesn't even put a dull haze on the glass, but at least it's not so smooth anymore that the paint will adhere nicely and not chip.

Clean with acetone on a clean rag, blow away the lint w/ the shop compressor.

Mask and spray. Be patient between coats so the solvents can flash off. A dual cartridge respirator makes like after painting a-ok.

Dark blues look great and add depth to the tank.

v/r, N-A

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store