Too add driftwood or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lyferxb9s

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
Should I add a big piece of driftwood to my son's tank or naw? We just ordered a bunch of plants both real and plastic to add

IMG_20190115_131420_925.jpg

IMG_20190115_131411_843.jpg

IMG_20190115_124545.jpg

IMG_20190115_124537.jpg

IMG_20190115_124525.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) The plants will become salad to the African Cichlids. They will shred them.
2) No drift wood. African Cichlids like hard-alkaline water. The DW will soften an acidify the water. Just the opposite of what you want.

Lyferxb9s

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
I've been successful with plants in Mbuna tanks before so I'm hopibg for some more luck on that front lol. I would seal the driftwood once it's soaked

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm all for trying your own thing, but what your asking is a mix of decor that isn't what the fish you have would tend to have in nature. If anything, I would attach some tough rhizome plants to the rocks, like anubia.

forse

AC Members
Nov 7, 2018
San Juan, PR
Real Name
Enrique
I have never been lucky with African Rift Lake cichlids and plants. I have a driftwood piece in my mbuna tank, but it was totally cured for more than 3 years in a previous tank. So, it does not release enough tannins that may change the water pH.

Reactions: dudley

Kish

AC Members
Oct 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
I actually had luck putting some plants in with African cichlids. It wouldn't call it a 'planted tank' and it wasn't heavily planted, but I had plants scattered through.

I used anubias and vallisneria - didn't try anything else. I had the anubias grafted to rock and they really didn't touch it at all. They did tend to uproot the vallisneria when I first put it in, but I just kept their favourite digging spots clear and put rocks around the base to prevent that - it worked well. The vallisneria grew really fast so, even if they nibbled, it wasn't a big deal. I gave them lots of vegetable matter to eat generally so that might have helped.

Everything I had in there was breeding. While there was lots of rock and caves, having plants definitely helped to give cover for the young fish and helped them move around the tank to get food, particularly the synodontis fry.

Never put driftwood in. I didn't want to lower the pH and I also think the rock decor was more natural.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store