too many hermit crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superlynx

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
San Francisco Peninsula
I have a 65 FOWLR tank (only about 26 pds of LR) live sand also. I just added a second red-legged hermit crab and thinking of taking him back out. I am worry with two of them, they may be eating too much stuff. They are both good size, about an inch. I do have extra shells in the tank, but not really big. Thanks. I think it is ok, but want to hear what other think about it.

tullsterx

AC Members
Apr 21, 2006
I think I've heard people say that you should have 1 per gallon or some such thing. . . I don't have any at all but 2 or several more seems like it would be fine.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I only have 8 total in two tanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Human food. Washed and raw. Only a small piece.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Yup. As long as if there are no added preservatives, colourings etc it'll be fine. I honestly don't think you'll need to do it as that's a pretty big tank for 2 little hermits. I'm sure they'll find enough to eat depending on how long it's been set up and how many fish you have in there.

I keep a bag of frozen prawns and mussels in my freezer especialy for my Trigger. My crabs, shrimp and lobster all come out for a bit!

rscuddvr

AC Members
Dec 20, 2007
Middleburg, Fl
I've got a 52gl with about 20-25lbs LR and two blue leg hermits. They do pretty good, I've seen "reef packages" advertised that include hermits, and it's usually a high number of crabs: ie-for a 30gl tank they send 5, 55gl they send 10. In my humble inexperienced opinion, you should be fine with those guys. Make sure you have a few larger shells for them to grow into....

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
I have about 100 dwarf blue leg's :)

They are so small I barely see more than 20 at a time though, but im pretty sure they are mostly all still alive in there.

75g reef btw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store