too many hermit crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Eek, that is a high density of hermits. At those densities, they do more harm than good--eating everything they come in contact with. I don't suggest more than about 1 per 10-15 gallons.

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
I agree with Amp. If you stock excessive numbers, the population will naturally level off based on the available food supply. I have a 55 gallon, fully stocked reef with six small fish. Once established and stable, I added 12 small hermits and 6 Nassarius snails. I have done my best to feed the tank efficiantly and not at all excessively. The population has now leveled off at 10 crabs and 3 snails. This number has held for 6 months.
In my limited opinion, adding a smaller initial population might be the way to go if your concerned with them having ample food. It's so easy to add more down the road if you think your system could benefit from a larger crew. After watching my tank slowly mature and become stable, I have a good idea what my system can and can't handle.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yes, that number actually getting enough food is another issue. That is why they begin to eat anything else. In all likelihood, you will lose the majority of those you have to starvation.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just start with a few first (one for every 20 gals or so). You can always add more later.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
I got them in bulk, for almost nothing (10c per). Was cheaper to just get the full 100 and let them sort it out. Plus I was planning on moving some of them to another tank later on, which I may still do, but that tank setup has gotten somewhat delayed.

To be fair, they've been in there over 3 months, yet to find a single dead one, or have any of them cause even the slightest problem. I know the dwarfs have a pretty short lifespan as it is anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store