Tough, aggressive bottom feeder/scavenger?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Hello all, I'm looking for a hardy, bottom dwelling fish that can hold it's own in an aggressive tank of big cichlids. I'd like something that doesn't hide all day and gets out and mingles with the rest of the tank. Anyone have the perfect choice for me? It doesn't have to be a catfish necessarily, but something that scavenges the dropped food of the messy Cichlids.

psycosis_03

AC Members
Apr 13, 2006
Hannibal, MO
Ive heard that upside down catfish work well. Also Ive seen alot of Pleco's with cichlids. but im no expert myself. I am just get started in cichlids

Nikki J

AC Members
Apr 5, 2006
boston, ma
www.myspace.com
I have a common Pleco in my cichlid tank, and I hardly ever see him. He always hides, and if/when he does come out, the cichlids pick on him. I would suggest a synodontis catfish, because from what I've heard, they can hold their own, and won't hide from the cichlids. I am actually picking one up later this week, and giving my Pleco away to someone who has goldfish.
The synodontis catfish is probably your best bet.

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Nikki J said:
I have a common Pleco in my cichlid tank, and I hardly ever see him. He always hides, and if/when he does come out, the cichlids pick on him. I would suggest a synodontis catfish, because from what I've heard, they can hold their own, and won't hide from the cichlids. I am actually picking one up later this week, and giving my Pleco away to someone who has goldfish.
The synodontis catfish is probably your best bet.
I just got rid of my Plecos and I will NEVER buy any more! All they do is HIDE and poop CONSTANTLY. Again, this hardy bottom scavenger doesn't HAVE to be a catfish. It can be anything that's an active swimmer and has a little fire in it so that it can hold it's own EVERYTIME against my Cichlids.

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
In my 125 gallon I have a pictus catfish. It can hold its own with the cichlids I have, but mine are not very aggressive (Severum, blood parrot, firemouth, female convict). So, I don't know how it would do with more aggressive ones. Mine has his favorite hiding spot, but does swim arround a lot.

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
a pictus would work

a fantail syno (biggest one that i know of at 6-8inches, athough i have seen foot long ones before) would work (wtf was wrong with yours dj that it got eaten?!) but they still hide all day

pictus dont hide, are fairly aggressive, and have a poison barb that would take care of most fish that try to eat it if you get one that is too small... they are very active, and prefer to be in groups, but should be fine if you only have room for one...

djmodifyd

AC Members
Jan 26, 2006
Bondurant, IA
www.djmodifyd.com
Lobo. said:
a pictus would work

a fantail syno (biggest one that i know of at 6-8inches, athough i have seen foot long ones before) would work (wtf was wrong with yours dj that it got eaten?!) but they still hide all day

pictus dont hide, are fairly aggressive, and have a poison barb that would take care of most fish that try to eat it if you get one that is too small... they are very active, and prefer to be in groups, but should be fine if you only have room for one...

i don't know.....

i also had a very pretty blue crayfish......

that isn't in there anymore

**** cichlids :pc:

sicklids

gone but not forgotten
Apr 24, 2006
PA
i have a 10" featherfin catfish (syndontis family) he is bad really bad
he will fight back, and at night he tries to suck the scales of the fish while they sleep.
i keep him with black belts, oscars, texas, convicts etc. all the bullies but he still is king of the tank
i got him last year when he was 2"
i dont know when hes going to stop growing, he alleady exeeded his estimated size
here he is in the background near the driftwood. this is a 220gallon tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store