Tough, aggressive bottom feeder/scavenger?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
wow... nice, my faintail (5 or 6in) is tough, but not to the point of sucking scales off fish! it mostly stays in its cave that i made for it out of rock...

how big is yours? right now it fits my 30gal tank, but if it gets bigger, i could have some problems...

they seem to have very different personalites, as i also know another person's fantial that always stays out in the open...

sicklids

gone but not forgotten
Apr 24, 2006
PA
hes 10 inches
hes always out in the open. and when someone goes into his cave he kicks them out lol
he took out the eyes of my blood parrot fish which was horrible.
in that pic you can see the oscar got nervous when he saw him, the catfish beats him up all the time :(

lesterandb

AC Members
Mar 6, 2006
I have several chiclids and an oscar in a 150 gallon with 2 large clown loaches. The loaches rule the tank. The clowns are big and all the other fish stay away from them. And the clowns are truley happy. They are out swimming all the time and they eat all the mess my Chiclids leave behind. I do not know if these species are good together or not but they seem to all get along great.

sicklids

gone but not forgotten
Apr 24, 2006
PA
clown loaches of equal size to cichlids work out great. the loaches have that thorny thing close to their eyes which is a great defense mechanism.
i had a blue botia that was a monster, he also was very aggressive.
clowns are great, i just wish i could find them allready sold a 6" all i see is tiny babies :(
just remember all fish are different in personality, ya have to go by what you have and not necessarily what is told to be compatable.
its all trial and error, and be prepared to bring certain fish back to the lfs or relocating them to different tanks. im gonna set up an area in my basement called the "prison" lol its gonna be all tanks lined up in a row with all bad mean fish kept singly :p:

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
sicklids said:
at night he tries to suck the scales of the fish while they sleep.
[/IMG]
Are you sure he's not STARVING? My Plecos I used to have would do that to my Channel Cats. To of them wound up dying because of all of that sucking. I found out too late that they were starving. After I started feeding them Zuchinni and lettuce, it resolved all of that. I just got rid of those Plecos so I'm not looking for anymore.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
do you know a good why to make the vegitables sink?

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Cylon said:
do you know a good why to make the vegitables sink?
What type of vegatables? When I used to feed them zuchinni, I would blanche it for 40 seconds in the microwave and after it cooled, I would clip it and stick it on the side of the tank. When feeding lettuce, I would just wrap it around a rock with a rubber band and it would stay in place on the bottom of the tank.

Cylon

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Benton, IL
Thanks thats works

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
clown loaches would work, but they grow very slow and if you find big 1s they will be expensive bkuz they grow so slow, and they are also a scaleless fish and are very susspetible to ich bkuz of that, so if you go clown loaches keep the water quality high,
Synodontis are african but grow up with african cichlids and can hold their own.
Asian Red-tailed Catfish get to be lik 24" and sumtimes more, dunno what sizer tank exactly these fish will be in but it will prob be too small for a red tailed cat to turn around, unless its a pond like Mojo's.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store