turtle people! i need your help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
should i use any kind of substrate since he likes to dig?
No, it's not necessary. Actually having substrate in a turtle tank is a pain in the butt to clean. Just go with a bare bottom or if you really want something use ceramic tiles or slate.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I would argue that you still need to take care while cycling, whether its a turtle or a fish.
You're absolutely right. I'm sorry---I didn't word my post very well. You should still monitor the parameters and do water changes, but as long as you keep that up a turtle should be pretty comfortable while a fish would most certainly not.

You'll want to keep the water shallow, about 2-3 inches deep while it's this small.
I've read that it needs to be at least as deep as the turtle is wide so that it can right itself if it gets on its back---turtles can drown in water that is too shallow to flip back over. Is that correct?

The Austin's care sheet says "They are excellent swimmers and their captive habitat should have a water depth as deep as possible." Does that not apply to hatchlings? (Sorry---painted hatchlings like deep water and that's the only kind of turtle I have, so I don't know about other species.)

should i use any kind of substrate since he likes to dig?
I believe that basking turtles only come on land to lay eggs and only bury themselves to hibernate. If you are keeping the turtle at summer temperatures, it shouldn't need a place to dig. (Can any of the more experienced turtle-keepers confirm this?) EDIT: ninjad by Vicious. :)

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've kept hatchling aquatic turtles in full 55gal tanks, just provide plenty of plants, driftwood, structure etc so it can climb and rest near the surface.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've read that it needs to be at least as deep as the turtle is wide so that it can right itself if it gets on its back---turtles can drown in water that is too shallow to flip back over. Is that correct?

The Austin's care sheet says "They are excellent swimmers and their captive habitat should have a water depth as deep as possible." Does that not apply to hatchlings? (Sorry---painted hatchlings like deep water and that's the only kind of turtle I have, so I don't know about other species.)
Yes, the water at it's shallowest should be at least the width of the turtles shell. I was recommending shallow water for the first week or so. It's easier to monitor a tiny baby when you keep the water shallow. It also makes it easier for the baby to find food to eat. After it's eating well and seems healthy I would definitely make the water deeper.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
how do i keep plants without a substrate? just float them? i can probably get some frogbit here in just a few days...

his carapace is about an inch and a half, all around. i was planning on giving him about four inches or so to swim in. the dish in the tub with him is only about two inches deep, and he's happily swimming away in that...

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Just throw in some floating plants. Anacharis works great because it will grow without soil and it floats making a perfect place for a baby turtle to rest on.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
DIY turtle tank

moar scooter pics!!! :D

this arrangement is only temporary, but i think it'll do well for now. it's a 29 gal, brand spankin' new (and thoroughly rinsed) from lowe's ^_^

this is how you keep the turtle safe from kittahs and let air in at the same time, without destroying the perfectly good lid :D

i have a desk lamp not being used that may end up sitting next to the tub to shine light on the basking log. also, i know that that's too much food floating in there; i was more concerned with giving him places to hide... if it starts to turn i'll replace it. greens are cheap >.> and it'll do for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store