Two fantail goldfish separated due to chasing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
There was only a little bit of white stuff in the filter intake but the rest of the tank water and glass were completely free of the white film. When I first saw it, there were a few pieces in the water but the majority of the stuff appeared as I wiped the glass sides and bottom. The bit I removed from the intake, both times, had a somewhat solid feel and did not dissolve in running water.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Sandybottom, how long should I keep Spots in the hospital tank? He is eating well, light feedings, and seems better except there are still red veins visible on his tail. I did the 75% water change today and I treat/change the hospital tank daily, (it gets a little cloudy overnight). How would I know if he has lost his slime coat? He sure is happier.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
if you think he is active enough,you can put him back into the cycled tank. just keep up the water changes,you do not want him reverting.clean water should take care of any residual streaking as long as it is minimal.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
thank you. Hope your family matters are pleasant ones. I put him back in the 29 gal. Goldie took only a few minutes to start chasing so the divider is back. How would I know if he lost his slime coat? Might her chasing stop when he's completely well? I'm sick and exhausted.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
they replace their slime coat so do not worry.sometimes when they are sick they produce excess slime. i think you may have two males.breeding tubercles can also be found on the occasional female. the can also be absent from males.so this way of sexing goldfish is not always reliable. you do not need to worry about chasing, unless the fish are becoming exhausted and sustaining injuries or if the chasing is without end.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
I put Spots back in the big tank. He continues to improve, the red streaks are clearing up. I will keep the divider in place until he is clear and I'll try again. I'm hoping she stops chasing him once he is free of septicemia. Thank you, Lynn. God bless you for helping save Spots and teaching me to better care for both goldfish.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
spring is spawning time.if you have experienced any temperature changes recently,they will chase.it will eventually stop.

i am glad spots is doing well. you did all of the work. i just passed along a little info.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Spots continues to improve. When I did the 75% water change, the divider was removed and she chased him a little. Things are going nicely and that was more than a 'little info' you gave me. You practically held my hand through each step, calm and assured, and I really can't thank you enough for helping us! I admit that I was completely clueless about goldfish when I bought them for Calla Rose. I am slowing increasing Spot's food to his normal portion. I watch how long it takes for them to finish eating and I figured better a bit underfed than slightly overfed to keep the tank clean and the fish healthy. My next purchase will be a vacuum and better water change containers. I am afraid my landlords will want me to get rid of the tank. I knew they said no water beds but according to the property manager, they want nothing containing water in the house. sigh. I love those fish and have never given away any pet I owned. Beside that,I spent a lot of our little income to get them into the larger tank. We'll be praying. I want to keep in touch, if that's okay with you. love from me and my family to you.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
so glad things are going well. gravel vacs are important,so getting one is a great step toward keeping them healthy.the best preventative medicine is weekly,large water changes to keep your water clean. i hope you can keep your tank. i come on here once daily.if you want to talk about anything at all you can send me a private message. always glad to help.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Hi, I pm'd you. Spots is sick. He has a dark spot on his tail.He is bottom sitting. I'm putting him in the hospital tank tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store