Undergravel Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Would you recomend an undergravel filter?

• Yes, definately

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not on your life

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • It's your call

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Go bother someone else

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
There is no one true path. There equally is no one best filtration technique. The trick is to select the best filtration for both the particular setup and the tank-keeper.

For me the best technique is several filters most often, and those most commonly are canisters, both internal and external. But I do have RFUG in several tanks, supplemented with other filters for mechanical and current. I also have W/Ds, veggie filters (both submerse and emerse), plenums, sponges, FBF, etc. The only filter types I do not use are HOB (I can't stand the noise)and biowheels (ditto, plus CO2 blow-off). That is personal choice as I am neurotic about silent tanks, not anything "wrong" with the function of those filters - they do their filtration job, just not quietly enough for me.

tankbusterboi

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
I use UGF and don't really have any problems with them. Of course I always use them in conjuntion with a power filters as well to get all three types of filtration. As far the gunk under the filter plate it's harmless mulm that has been broken down by the filter. There is maintenance with any filter system and to me there is no more work required of this one than any of the other ones. I don't hardly ever break a tank down unless all the inhabitants have died, moving the tank or just changing the substrate in it. I've had my 75 gallon setup with a UGF and powerheads for 8 years no problem and little maintenance. Since now I try to do some water changes I see it as the same maintenance I would carry out if I had a power filter.

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
hate to highjack but...

can you use an undergravel with sand? does it just depend on how coarse it is? i just bought a used 55 that i'm going to make salt, and it came with one. how do you do maintenance?

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
No you can not use a UGF with sand, the UGF needs water to freely flow through it and sand will not alow that. As for maintaining sand you just vac the top of it since the waste just sits on top. Some lightly stir up their sand to prevent gas bubbles from forming in the sand, the bubbles can become toxic.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
"Sand" covers quite a range of particle sizes, and I have used OE-RFUG with substrates labeled as "sand", but it was coarse sand, not fine, and also not in direct contact with the filter plate due to the over-engineering.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I have never seen a UG plate with lift tubes >1" and I have been running UGs since the 1960s.

Other than inability to link with powerheads by standard fittings, exactly what is negative about large tube sizes anyway? And what manufacturer would be dumb enough to try to sell UGs which could not mate with powerheads?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store