Undergravel filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AcTwisted

AC Members
Jan 22, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
was looking to get one for my 150 gallon tank. it would need to be 72"x18".

Perfecto sells one...... are they reliable units?

also as far as Powerheads go, what flow rate do I need & how many would I need? I see the AquaClear 402 is 250 gph.

please help someone who's never used powerheads & undergravel systems.:(

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
AC,
I've never used a UGF or a ReverseUGF, so I really can't offer any advice. Personally I'd use canisters on such a big tank. There are folks who seem to like UGFs and are happy with them.

I think you'd see better responses to this if you posted it out in General or, maybe even better, in DIY and Aquarium products.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Just my opinion...
I totally 'dislike' UnderGravel "filters". I had one in the past and will never have one again. Canisters are a real filter.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Any improperly maintained filter is a problem. Any properly maintained filter is not. UG/RFUG is not for everybody, but then neither is any other particular filter format.

What anyone may have read somewhere may or may not have much bearing on reality. The same may be said of biowheels, canisters, HOBs, W/Ds, FBF.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
filter ?

I still wonder how a UGF can be called a 'filter'? It should be more like SCUYGD ...StoreCrudUnderYourGravelDevice... LOL:eek:

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Darkangel
That is exactly what a cannister or HOB filter does 80gJoe.
Nope. I clean out my filters and replace the "filter floss" or "polyester stuff"...... That's a filter.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Thats why you use a gravel vacuum. It does the same thing. Your logic is flawed. Both do exactly the same thing just by different methods. A properly maintained UG will be the same as any other properly maintained filter. An UGF is called a filter because thats what it is. It does the same job as any other filter, namely, trap solids and provide a place for bacteria to grow. By your logic a sponge filter would not be a filter either. Nothing to change just requires a cleaning like an UGF. Or are bio tower type filters not filters either? You obviously have some very strong dislikes for UGF's but that is no reason to eliminate them from peoples use. I personally dislike cannistors but I do not come on here and say they are not filters or they should not be used. For many years the UGF was the way to go and it worked very well then and still does now. Anything that a Cansister or HOB can do an UGF can do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store