Undergravel filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
A good point mentioned by richer, regarding cichlids.
Is this going to be a cichlid tank? If so then chances are the UGF will be impaired by their digging.
Secondly, is it going to be a heavily planted and/or decorated community? If so it is very difficult to vacuum successfully in such a setup without major disturbance.
I have used UGF's successfully in the past and don't want to try and label them obsolete. But many people would agree that if you combine an Eheim canister with an Aquaclear HOB then it is pretty much smooth sailing from there.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Kit Walker
...If so it is very difficult to vacuum successfully in such a setup without major disturbance.
..... many people would agree that if you combine an Eheim canister with an Aquaclear HOB then it is pretty much smooth sailing from there.
Subtle, and well stated.. Let's not forget about the Filstar canisters. :)

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Quote from 80gJoe:
Can you imagine how much work could be involved on, say a 125 gallon tank, or even a 55 gallon??
My RFUGF takes up only 1/3 of the floor space of the tank and I have a large-ish rock that divides the UGF side from the non-UGF side. I think that if I have to dismantle & clean, it should be a snap.

Another advantage to my setup is that is very accomodating to low flow tank residents like Bettas and plants.

BTW, when will I have to dismantle & clean? What are the tell-tale signs?

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Thanks for the quick analysis of your past UG issues 80gJoe. I will not argue at all with that situation - the commonest failure of UG is too large gravel with too high flow. In fact is may even blow debris back into the tank via the powerheads. But the real issue is that under such circumstances it cannot be vacuumed properly and thus is not properly maintained. This a technique incorrectly applied. If you fill an Eheim with marbles, it is not going to be a functional mechanical filter.

Ich can only exist without a host for a few days after it drops off the host and the gravel or glass or rock-attached cyst is dividing. UG or not doesn't enter that either positively or negatively.

I do not know what "free-flowing bacteria " might be so cannot comment.

I still say that UG/RFUG is a valid filtration tecnique, but just as with any other, it can be abused and mis-used. Filtration format is still personal choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store