Using Alternate Filters. Is this advisable?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Irfan Moosani

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2018
NEED ADVISE
==========

I have got 55 gallon Peacock cichlid tank. And am having 2 filters in the tank
1. Power head (left side) image attached

2. Air Pump Sponge filter (2 sponge + 2 air stones)

I use the filters alternatively.

My main filter is Air Pump sponge filter which runs for about 20-22 hours/day

My secondary filter (power head) is kind of backup filter and I user it 2-4 hrs / day to give some rest to main filter (this also makes sure that my secondary filter will be up and running at the time of emergency)

Now my concern is :
1. Does using the 2 filters alternatively can harm the beneficial bacteria residing in filters?( on of the filters will be on and tank is properly oxygenated)

2. Will this promote birth of harmful bacteria and will kill my fishes in the tank? (16 fishes - its not overcrowded)

mytank.jpg

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Does the powerhead have floss or is it just pushing water? I'm not clear on if it's an hob filter or just a powerhead?
I'm also thinking the sponge filter will last just as long if you leave it on all the time. Turning on and off each day would probably create more wear and tear on the pump than just leaving it on.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Absolutely no reason not to run both all the time. They are designed to operate 24/7 with regular maintenance.

A powerhead, even with a sponge on it, is at best a supplement and primarily for water movement. It is not designed to support a 55 that is more than moderately stocked.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, why are you running and stopping. Keep both filters running.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My thinking is, you could rotate them in terms of which is powered up and which is powered down as long as they are completely submerged in the tank.

You would not want to do this with a hang-on-back or canister filter, where they only hold enough water to keep the media wet.

Like said, I'm not sure why you'd want to alternate them this way? They're not designed to be cycled on/off this way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store