UV sterilizers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
To me, most of these marketed for the home aquarium are a waste of money. Some canister filters have them incorporated into the housing now as well. I've even seen some hang-on-back style with small UV lamps in them. The wattage of the lamp and flow rate through the system have to be dialed in to eradicate parasites within a pass or two. Not done right, what you potentially want to wipe out, probably wont be.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
An UV sterilizer will not prevent diseases or parasites. Wouldn't that be something?
They are mainly used in ponds against green water.
To prevent diseases:

Regular water changes
Don't overstock
Don't stress fish (wrong biotope, wrong tank mates, tank too small for fish)
Live plants

Aside from getting good stock it's as simple as that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I bought the "big" Green Killing Machine when I had both cyanobacteria & the chronic form of columnaris. It seemed to help with both. But the very small sponge prefilter clogged very often with cyano & plant debris.

With a slow flow rate (why I chose GKM) there's enough "dwell time" to kill some stuff or at least reduce them. It can't help much, if at all, with internal parasites. The kinds that are inline from a canister filter seem like to fast a flow rate

If you truly think you have internal parasites, my choice is flubendazole, a drug that actually can kill most...dosed correctly & with a follow up dose.

Many botiid loaches can carry a low level of IP without much apparent harm...except some stunting can happen. I "usually" treat botias with flubendazole during QT, but not other loaches...It's been a while since I had new botias.

With your "pale" histrionica, I'd wait until he's healthier to do anything.

Reactions: authmal

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
With your "pale" histrionica, I'd wait until he's healthier to do anything.
No, hes better every day. Its just an insurance policy, I rather have it than not, My canister plumbing has lots of break points, an inline UV, and a reducer valve from a branching point can get me any flow I want, letting the rest of the output bypass the UV.

AA doesnt sterilize, but I can DIY a lower flow pump unto it (or force some of the canister out put through "back wards" if AA pump can be switched off independently)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't really understand your AA thing... but If you retard your canister flow you can cause trouble with the motor I believe. Look at "dwell time", how long a given quantity of water is actually in the UV light. If it zips by too fast, it doesn't kill much of anything.

Like I said, if you want to prophylactivilly (sp?) treat for internal parasites, use a drug that does that. Otherwise why do it?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It can't help much, if at all, with internal parasites.
Many botiid loaches can carry a low level of IP without much apparent harm...
For the same reason UV is not an effective measure against other pathogens, externally or internally. Like nitrifying bacteria, they don't flow aimlessly through the water. They are already on the fish, in the gravel, etc.
It's normal for every organism to host a number of pathogens, be it bacteria, protozoans or viruses. When the organism is weakened, they get their chance, multiply and take over.

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
Im just looking for a recommendation for a quality UV sterilizer based on someone who owns one. Since Ive never heard of any brand that manufactures them.

Thanks for all the replies, these arent conducive to what I asked, UV sterilizers can perform level 1,2,3 sterilization (low end ones dont even do that, just water clarification, like the sub 24watt green killing machine, even the 24watt GKM barely performs level one sterilization because of its high flow and dwell volume). Of coarse pathogens live in the water, this is why everyone says to put only the fish in your tank and not they water from the fish store. Also why you should up the water changes if you have an outbreak in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store