Very UNHAPPY with Ehiem (product and service)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Did you try to lube the gasket?
Did the leak occur after servicing?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
At least with Hagen aqua clear they said to talk to the place I bought it, you may want to try that. Places like DrF&S are often very good with problems, replacement parts etc.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
The leak did start after I cleaned the filter media. You think I should try lube first? What lube do you use?

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Yup, plumbers grease found at any local home depot, lowes.
NO NO NO NO........

Only use pure petroleum jelly (IE vaseline).

I am laying good odds on the fact it is the priming seal, and this is a real weakness in this model.

cichlidude

AC Members
Mar 17, 2010
NO NO NO NO........

Only use pure petroleum jelly (IE vaseline).

I am laying good odds on the fact it is the priming seal, and this is a real weakness in this model.
Absolutely wrong. Vaseline will deteriorate rubber O rings. It is a known fact. Use the plumbers silicone lubricate.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
A) use silicone grease. If that doesn't work, your seal is likely shot, and will need to be replaced. FWIW, Eheim provides a seal lubricant packet with all of their filters.

B) It sounds like the issue was caused by improper reassembly of the filter after maintenance; I would not jump to bashing the company on their service and warranty if the issue was not true equipment failure.

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
Come on guys, real rubber hasn't been used on O rings in years........If eheim is still using it then...........

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-26017.html

As to what additives are in plumbers grease I can't be sure 100% pure silicone would be fine as well, as long as it is not an aersol.

It sounds like the issue was caused by improper reassembly of the filter after maintenance; I would not jump to bashing the company on their service and warranty if the issue was not true equipment failure.
Possibly if the leak is indeed the main seal and not the primer seal. Just as likely is the filter was maintenanced, placed back into service, and when hooked back up the primer was pumped a few times without being lubed, and it was dry to boot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store