Vodka Treatment For Freshwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I was gonna try this..

But i got all drunked up instead.

psssst Zigman..I totally understand:laugh:

but I would suggest using the cheap vodka on the tank save the good stuff for yourself;)

Barnacle

AC Members
Dec 22, 2009
SW Washington
Fish running into the glass... little fish picking fights with fish way bigger than themselves... snails falling off the decor and rolling around on the ground losing their lunch...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It's a good question. I've never heard of it, but it would be very easy to figure out for one's self. Personally the simplicity of FW water changes makes carbon dosing unattractive to me in such aquaria, but I'm a big supporter of it in SW. I maintain a heavily stocked 6000 gal SW tank that had been neglected for a few months and the nitrates had risen to > 320ppm. A few months of careful dosing have brought the nitrates down to 40 ppm with minimal water changes. Basically the sand filter gets backwashed weekly which uses about 200-250 gal. There is no way that rate of water change would have even kept up with production of new nitrate. But in all honesty had the tank been FW I'd have backwashed out 25% and camped out on top each weekend while it refilled!

svaha

AC Members
Dec 12, 2007
Venus ,Texas
stormmaile.bravehost.com
:hypnotized: :hitting: :cool-1: :woot: :thumbsup: :thud: Sorry .
Never heard of it for freshwater,thought about it at one time when I had a reef going. But with buddies like mine ,I would come home to no Vodka ,the kids juice gone and drunks on my back porch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store