Vortex diatom filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I thought my husband would have the Vortex up & polishing water by now. Maybe he shouldn't have helped with water changes yesterday. I didn't ask for his help. He doesn't pretend to vacuum, never weeds (maybe that's good...) & insists on using a tiny net to scoop out duckweed. 1 tank looks almost duckweed free :D (for now, lol) , another only slightly improved at most.

My carpool friend didn't find my fern either, boo hoo!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Do you have the full name for the fern?

I'm intrigued now, I have never heard of it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
crepidomanes is the genus, I don't think he said the species, there are a few, he may have said. I had never heard of them either until a Zoom meet he hosted last year. Very tiny, cute & very slow growing, kind of rare, in the hobby at least...the slow growth & different location of the plant (in parent's or GF's tank?) is why it was especially nice of him to bring it for me...& why I can't ask for more...I did bring him some outdoor plants he'd been wanting...but still, my fault...gah, I'm an irresponible careless idiot!

My only fern face saving option is I made the "grand old man" (you know, the not TB OLD guy) take some too just in case I killed it...but instead I never even got it home...sob

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much!

But I will keep my eyes open and see if I can find anything, sure I can ship you some if I do.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I PM'd the "grand old guy" & he'll "try" to keep some alive since I & the donor guy pressured him into taking the extra. I'm still hopeful I'll get to try 1 soon. I'm not sure if it's rare in nature or just so tiny & slow growing...I'm not usually 1 to jump on the latest thing as you know but I fell in love (or is it lust?)...not as bad as my crypt obsession...

The diatom filter is much, much newer & way more complex than our 1 from 35 years ago. My husband thought he knew what to do...now he's not so sure after reading the "easier" directions. No wonder it was a trade away, it's barely been used...but still, I owe my club &/or clubber some $$, maybe both...it does have shut off valves, a big plus, my thumbs were too small back in the day.

TY for the offer, did you read about them? I thought of anyone on AC you'd be up on them...I looked online & didn't find any creps actually for sale & not much info...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I know/knew little about them..my hobby has slowed down for now, occasionally I get the urge to be creative,but mostly I'm lazy, and don't really want to leave work for someone else when I cannot do it. (Pretty vague, nebulous and a bit dark, I know ?)

But I might be going to buy a bunch of hardscape in a few weeks, and may try to break down the 2 aquariums I care little for, and set up 2 or 3 nice rimless tanks, so I can pretend to know what I am doing and maybe occupy myself automating them more.

I just know I do need to get back up and running before the AGA next year, I'm sure that will leave me spending a bunch of money as usual.. the auctions can be brutal!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A bit of bad news on my husband's new Vortex, the corrugated hoses leak & need replacing. Our high heat is very hard on plastics...

Good news, the Quick Filter seems to be working, not perfect, but green water is reduced to my eye...

See my question in planted tank forum...I don't want to confuse my issues, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store