Warm Vs. Cold... Hmm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What do you use to fill up your aquariums?

• Cold

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Warm

Votes: 57 86.4%

• Total voters

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
warm...matched to tank temp as close as possible by touch test...don't put cold water into tropical fish tanks, especially if doing the reccomended minimum amount (25% weekly)...change of temps can bring on disease, and either way its just less comfortable; how would you like if someone kicked you straight out of your warm bed into a cold bath ?? :D
Bingo. Match the temp as close as possible.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Edit: unless intentionally trying to spawn specific types of fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I match temps via digital...

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
I definitely use warm. I usually aim for about tank temp, sometimes 5 degrees cooler (Fahrenheit). Most of the time I go by feel, since my skin is pretty sensitive to temps, other times I use the digital thermometer - just depends on the day.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Ditto here, plus when cold weather hits I monitor during refill, as I have well water and it gets pretty cold. Big shot of that would really hit my fish hard. Why risk it?
Great minds....:grinyes:

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I temperature match as close as possible in the buckets I add.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
I run a thermometer under my faucet till it's exactly 78 degrees and leave it running as I run from my kitchen to my room with buckets to fill it up. I also throw a few drops of de-chlorinator in each bucket before I dump it in the tank.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I have also run a wye of the wash machine hookup (but just from cold).Since I do only about 10%pwc the straight cold water doesnt drop the tank too severely. It drops from ~79.0 to lower-to-mid 77's. I was mainly concerned about keeping it within 2* but not sure how critical this is. Since it was dropping almost 2* I have since added an inline 400W heater but it does very little to the very cold water. It raises the lowest temp the tank drops to the upper 77's so about .5* warmer. But since it takes quite a while for the tank to hit 79.2* (the point that the tank heaters shut back off) the .5* warmer temp also reduces the time the tank is cooler. My tank typically takes ~15 minutes to raise the temp by .1* so .5* shaves an hour or more off the warmup time.

On my tanks that I do by use of Python, I use an extra kitchen digital thermometer designed to poke meat for proper cooking temps. You can normally find them $5-10 and they are instant read so pretty quick.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
lol thats what I use, My mom has this turkey-prodder digital thermometer that I took from her when I moved, It's very accurate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store