Water Change long overdue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Catpicklesdog,

You have a very nice Reef Log\Diary there... Do you still not skim? How often do you do water changes?
Since setting up the new tank I do skim. Since seeing all the gunk that comes out of it I'd be scared not to, but knowing that I went for so long without skimming ....................... you see my dilemma.

I do a 10% water change once a fortnight at the moment but I'm still getting to grips with having a sump etc.

Don't worry I'm watching your thread closely!!!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
In my old 46 bow years ago (FOWLR) I never did water changes, I had a chessy Seaclone skimmer, and no wet/dry or sump of any kind, and it worked. I had a DSB and lined the last 1 1/2 " at the bottom with screening so it wouldn't be disturbed by gobbies. I think they called it the Berlin method, don't know if that is still popular or not.

Now in my 100 reef tank I do a 20% WC every two weeks, I have a real skimmer, and a sump... and everything is great. So, like CPD, go figure, both work. I do remember in my old 46 it was very sensative to adding new fish, I could only or two fish at a time.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
193 days... Zero Nitrate.

I don't protect my sand from the Gobies, they love it, and I am also probably really bad with feeding, where as I chuck lots of uneaten sea urchin roe, scollop's, oysters, fish bones etc in there.

Also, I have had no fish or coral loss's and no additions either, just been to busy with work.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Day 216... I have also updated my sump thread (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105248), no casualties, however due to an anemone deciding to move, one of my softies (the middle one) got a bit stung and is in recovery mode.

All I wanted to do for this update is just add a couple of pictures which I took yesterday.

Please be warned, this is no skimming, no water change, it ain't pretty and may offend some viewers.

GAP... for those who wish not to proceed... DO NOT SCROLL DOWN

The offending anemone...... quite clearly suffering now.....NOT!

I turned of the Tunze in the tank and these guys got startled, enough for me to actually photo.

Because of the outbreak in snails, I have noticed that the inside of the overflow, as well as the back glass of which I cannot clean, and never have or never felt the need to are really clean. I just ran a magnetic cleaner across the front and left panel quickly for these photo's, not a real good job, but just enough (no razor scraping here).

The other tank is still outside, I want to get it in eventually and will have to as we intent to renovate and this tank will need to move.. the contents of which will migrate to the other tank.

Work have been considerably overwhelming, being responsible for offices in Chicago, Sydney and Kyiv, I haven't had much time to spend on the tank but will do so more now as I have moved on and intend to take a more balanced role. Hopefully I will be able to have the time and do some of the things I have really wanted to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store