Water Change long overdue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I think the sump is probably the main reason behind this success. I wouldn't even consider trying it wothout a sump. Kudos to you though Noskimmer for being brave enough to give it a go. Tank's lookin amazing!!

kryptic4l

AC Members
May 21, 2007
Antartica
the ocean does not skim, nor does it do water changes, it is a balanced system that takes care of everything in the life cycle

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
We could always post that infamous picture of the people frolicking in the fish poo...

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
the ocean does not skim, nor does it do water changes, it is a balanced system that takes care of everything in the life cycle
of course the ocean does water changes... There are currents that continuously replace water in reefs. It is transfered to areas less populated with life or to places where there are many, many, many animals who feed on these nutrients...
Also, you honestly cannot even compare the ocean to ANY fish tank partialy for this reason... And then when you think about fish to area ratios in our tanks, it really doesnt mean a thing seeing how our tanks are 20 inches deep while the ocean in the parts we talka bout are 15+...

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Still looking awesome noskimmer... Am I seeing three tangs in your tank?? Very nice..
Thanks all for the remarks.

Yes three tangs, Mark the yellow tang was my first fish in this setup, Bruno, the Purple Tang (I think he's a fake) arrived shortly after with a Sohal, unfortunately the Sohal was taken by an aggressive carpet anemone which decided that the tank was there just for him.... (he went to good home) The Clarkii's unfortunately seemed to get lesions on them which is why I got a smaller anemone to replace it.. they never stay small for long.. will probably be another give away.. Betty the lipstick was a rescue buy, she looked awful at the lfs and as I usually do, I said "well that doesn't look like it's going to make it.. I'll take it off you for (little)$$$'s" She looks good now.

Mark (Yellow Tang) at the very beginning

Mark and Gordon at the beginning

Betty (the Lipstick) getting "fattened up" next to a fat Bruno (purple tang)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
All look fantastic.. You really have done some wonders with your tank. Definately something to be proud of NoSkimmer.. I love your thread..

blasterman_

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Free nitrate is also rare in the open ocean while it builds to toxic levels in captive tanks. Poor comparison.

I'm looking at the pictures here, and I think I see fairly deep sand bed. Lowest maintenance tanks I've ever had have always had generous sand beds, and we know those are great nitrate reducers. However, I'd still get a skimmer if the tank is heavily stocked. I'd rather have a skimmer and not be aware of it than have organics build up and complicate a sudden crash.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store