Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Water Changes?

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by tackful, Oct 28, 2016.

1. p0tluck

p0tluck AC Members

Jan 3, 2018
    sorry to the op if i posted something that distracted others from your post was not my intention.

2. tackful

tackful AC Members

May 27, 2018
    For me, not a problem. Willing to follow wherever it leads.

3. ProjectMaro

ProjectMaro AC Members

Apr 7, 2017
    I don't do water changes except for cleaning every one to three months. I just add water that's evaporated. This is in a non planted tank. In my opinion, most people over feed. I feed once or twice a week. Fish in the wild may go weeks not feeding. I realize this can be very species specific. But the extra load from waste and non eaten food is what's causing bad water parems in a correctly stocked tank. All this is just my opinion and experience of course. Only science I have is a gold fish I had as a kid for 15 years and the current pictus I have had for 11 years. Both very Hardy fish. I could have just gotten very strong fish. I will say, minus some glass algae, my water is always crystal clear.

4. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Yesterday at 11:46 AM
    Joel
    Mario, that's true that a lot of the bio load we add to our tanks is from the food we drop in for our fish. Feed light and your nitrate creep will be lower. Problem is, you nitrate is still going to creep up every day and continue to accumulate. It doesn't go away on it's own. The problem with just adding what evaporates is, compounds, minerals, etc.. are left behind when the water evaporates and will continue to build up. This will eventually shift your GH,Kh and other things to the point your pH will crash and kill your fish. As said way above, this is never a one size fits all scenario. Your water will deteriorate at a different rate then everyone else, same with the fish you keep. Water clarity means very little for water quality.

#34 FreshyFresh, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. ProjectMaro

ProjectMaro AC Members

Apr 7, 2017
    In my case, it seems the water replaced during cleanings is enough. I only mention clarity because with bacteria or bloom spikes, the water will appear not clear.

Has there ever been a study on how much mineral is captured by filtration? Every month I'm tossing and replacing a piece of filtration. Could that not be housing the minerals left over from evaporation? Certainly must contain some percentage of it.

6. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Yesterday at 11:46 AM
    Joel
    Filter pads or sponges aren't going to trap minerals and other components. You'd need some type of reverse osmosis system for that.

Rob Bredin likes this.
  7. Rob Bredin

Rob Bredin AC Members

Rob Bredin
    Jul 3, 2017
    Rob Bredin
    Actually the high pH level can control with canister filter or protein skimmer. But canister filter control all ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.

Brandon Tracey likes this.
  8. nycman

nycman AC Members

Mar 15, 2018
    My tanks are in CT...the water is 7.0 and low in TDS. I use tap in my planted tank to get the minerals and phosphates. Polish the water with Seachem Purigen. But still do 25% per week to get in habit of supporting Discus.