Water Temperature

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msubhan

AC Members
Feb 6, 2019
As we are nearing summer, how to maintain aquarium water temperature below 90* F. There are 9 angel medium fishes in 50 gallon tank , i assume angel fishes are sensitive to high temperature.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Cooling a tank is much more difficult and expensive as heating it. But you definitely want to keep it below 90. You can buy an aquarium chiller, or if you need to do it yourself buy a small used fridge, put the canister filter in there. You can then regulate the temperature by extending the tubes in the fridge.

Reactions: ustabefast

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Why does the tank get that warm?

Other options include putting a fan to blow over the surface, which increases evaporation and cools. But be sure to do more water changes, or top off with RO water. Look at your lights, as well--switching to LED if you have plants will help, or just turn them off if there aren't any plants to worry about.

Reactions: ustabefast

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said above, if the room is 90F, it's difficult and potentially expensive to cool the tank. Only effective method is keep your tanks in rooms/areas where it won't get this warm.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I use water bottles frozen in the freezer, but they are only good for lowering the temp a couple degrees unless you use many and keep rotating them.
Ice melts pretty fast in a 90 degree tank.
The fan method also works farily well. I use both in conjunction during our hot summer spells.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store