Weird phobias?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
So guys, what are your strange fears?

Personally, I have a constant fear of giant crayfish and red cherry shrimp. I don't know why, but it scares the crap out of me. To make it weirder, I'm not worried about them eating/killing me, just that they are going to bump into me or nibble off my toes....

weird.

How about you guys?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
So guys, what are your strange fears?

Personally, I have a constant fear of giant crayfish and red cherry shrimp. I don't know why, but it scares the crap out of me. To make it weirder, I'm not worried about them eating/killing me, just that they are going to bump into me or nibble off my toes....

weird.

How about you guys?
You should probably keep your feet out of your tanks then. Haha

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You should probably keep your feet out of your tanks then. Haha
lol, it's getting rediculous now.

I'm also afraid to be in the inside of tall open spaces (atrium of skyscrapers). If the ceiling is more than 20 feet off the ground I get nervous, even higher and I start getting shaky/extremely cautious and slow moving. At a certain point I just shut down. The weird part is that I don't have a problem with looking down from high things...

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Germs...I don't use dollar bills, public bathrooms, doorknobs/strange faucets with my bare hands...

Prions...don't eat beef,pork, or lamb/sheep.

Bodies of water in which I can't see the bottom, or if fish are in there.

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
I also don't like bodies of water where I can't see the bottom. And it freaks me out really bad if i think about fish being in it. Sticking my arm in the tank and having them touch me is fine but if it were a huge aquarium with the same size fish and I was in it, it would freak me out.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..seaweed. i cannot stand to be swimming and feel water plants touch my legs...witch is funny i have collected plants from the wild.
I just cannot sand to be swimming in open/deep water and feel slimy plants wrap around or slide down my legs..i freak.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
When ur spear fishing and you see a huge black shadow pass by and you pray its a seal.
Phobias are by definition irrational fears. Seems pretty rational to give something like that a good bit of your attention in that situation.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
hmm.... Phobias.... well, whenever I get near really tall building (like skyscrapers) I get really nervous. I can't help but think "That thing could squash me and never even realize it." I feel like a little tiny ant must feel when a human walks past...

Highways. They creep me out. I just get this weird sense of foreboding at random times on them...

Dark roads. I always think "This is how all those horror movies start, an empty dark road with no other cars on it."

and finally....

Swarms of ants. I read 1 book where a swarm of ants took out a small human town, and I have never been able to look at them without shuddering again. Funny, I used to be very good with ants and stuff...

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Bridges in the rain/dark/snow. I'm unreasonably afraid of sliding off into dark, icy water ... not crashing through the railing, but like, sliding under it. This is true whether I'm walking or driving. Even if there is absolutely no way for me, much less a vehicle, to fit through or under the railing. Completely unreasonable images fly into my head, my heart hammers, I want to scream and run away. It would be funny if it weren't so awful.

Also, I have vertigo. Balconies, windows in high offices, scenes in movies with people dangling off mountains or window ledges, etc. create this intense (and weird) physical reaction: My knees ache. My legs just sort of buzz with this phantom pain. Even talking about heights and vertigo can cause it. I can feel it right now, in fact. Dang.

I've often wondered if weird phobias are rooted in previous life/death experiences. If so, I sure seem to have fallen to my death/drowned a lot. *shudders*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store