What are the costs of a tank? And opinions on the setup I've got planned.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Just opinions, but here's my .02:
-Consider an AquaClear 50 HOB filter - very quiet, easy to maintain/clean/allows for varied media. S/B under $50. (save $50.)
-Heater: 100 watt Eheim Jager - very reliable. S/B around $30.
-Substrate: Pool filter sand - 50 lbs. for $10. (you'll only need around 30 lbs. or so) (save $30.)
-Don't need CO2 for a 20 gal. (Unless you really want to have it around for when you go to a larger tank.) Go with dry ferts, root tabs, Flourish Excel & Comp. Supp. - maybe $40. or so, all in (save $160.)
You've already been advised you can save on the tank price too.
Hope this is helpful.
You should be able to effectively do all you want to do for half the amount of your expected cost.

Last edited:

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
The thing is you are going with an absolute top end high tech system for a relatively small tank.

That's about the same budget I have for my 2 X 80gal tanks (including stand and sump filter). But I'm an expert at scrounging and DIY.

You don't NEED an Eheim Cannister, there is an Emperor BioWheel on sale on that site for $26 that would work great on that size tank.
A $10 bag of gravel, not some fancy substrate.
Pick some low light plants and they will do just fine in gravel and some 1/2 decent lighting.

You can't really skimp on food and water conditioner, you need a heater, lights for the plants, and the test kit is good. But it still gets a prefectly good tank set up for under $200.

Sometimes we just need to work with the budget we have...

Ian

ValorG

AC Members
Mar 10, 2011
NY
Real Name
Gideon
Wow so many replies to fast! Thanks for the quick responses. I'll definitely check out the sunsun filters on Ebay. I had no idea I could get a good canister for $50.

I was considering going ahead and dropping the dime on a full CO2 system because I could use it on a larger tank or two tanks when/if I upgraded. If I got a paintball system how long would that last on a twenty gallon? Average light conditions, not high or low. The light fixture I was looking at on Al's was a dual T5 about 35 watts.

I really like the pool filter sand substrate. I've read that people cap a organic miracle grow bottom with it for good results. Is a 50lb bag of pool filter sand way more than I'll need, about right, less?

I love this forum.
Ive heard of the 20 oz tanks lasting 6 months. But ill be more conservative saying 3-4.5 months.

30-40 pounds of sand should be good.

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
The thing is you are going with an absolute top end high tech system for a relatively small tank.

That's about the same budget I have for my 2 X 80gal tanks (including stand and sump filter). But I'm an expert at scrounging and DIY.

You don't NEED an Eheim Cannister, there is an Emperor BioWheel on sale on that site for $26 that would work great on that size tank.
A $10 bag of gravel, not some fancy substrate.
Pick some low light plants and they will do just fine in gravel and some 1/2 decent lighting.

You can't really skimp on food and water conditioner, you need a heater, lights for the plants, and the test kit is good. But it still gets a prefectly good tank set up for under $200.

Sometimes we just need to work with the budget we have...

Ian
Just opinions, but here's my .02:
-Consider an AquaClear 50 HOB filter - very quiet, easy to maintain/clean/allows for varied media. S/B under $50. (save $50.)
-Heater: 100 watt Eheim Jager - very reliable. S/B around $30.
-Substrate: Pool filter sand - 50 lbs. for $10. (you'll only need around 30 lbs. or so) (save $30.)
-Don't need CO2 for a 20 gal. (Unless you really want to have it around for when you go to a larger tank.) Go with dry ferts, root tabs, Flourish Excel & Comp. Supp. - maybe $40. or so, all in (save $160.)
You've already been advised you can save on the tank price too.
Hope this is helpful.
You should be able to effectively do all you want to do for half the amount of your expected cost.
Thanks for the opinions! That's exactly what I made this thread for. I didn't realize what i had was a really high tech tank.

Thanks especially everyone for the specific equipment recommendations. I don't have any experience to go on myself.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
It's easy to look at other peoples really cool tank setups, and think that's "normal" or even "necessary". In reality you can keep things a LOT simpler and still have a nice tank.

This seems to be a common thing with many hobby internet sites. If you go to a car site everyone is raving about Ferraris, but 99% of them are driving Toyotas ;)

Ian

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
It's easy to look at other peoples really cool tank setups, and think that's "normal" or even "necessary". In reality you can keep things a LOT simpler and still have a nice tank.

This seems to be a common thing with many hobby internet sites. If you go to a car site everyone is raving about Ferraris, but 99% of them are driving Toyotas ;)

Ian
Yeah, I think that's the trap I fell into. I just saw an amazing 20L on ptf without co2, ferts, or anything. I didn't realize something like this was possible.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/103111-20l-downoi-farm-3-26-11-a.html

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Yep - a couple of $5 desk lamps with daylight spectrum "energy savers". Good enough for a low light planted tank, and there is another $20 left in your pocket ;)

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I don't think it would be too much overkill if you had pressurized co2 going, idk i've heard mixed reviews on the reflectors on those fixtures. Personally I go the low/medium light method, which would be a single t5ho with a good reflector.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store