What can these fish eat? Experts on fish food needed!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Wow. Thanks for all the help!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Wow. +1 for all that info, bro.

I'm no 'expert' but I have some suggestions for you.

Ottos: apart from natural algae mine never touched anything (sushi nori, algae wafers, home made food that my snails and rubber lip loved, or pellets for herbivores) with the exception of Repashy (this one specifically http://www.repashy.co.uk/lilly-exotics/super-green). Repashy has enough nutrients in it that is good to feed as a staple and they'll get some algae to supplement if you don't scrub one wall.
Guppies: they're not picky, mine thrived on Hikari micro pellets as a staple mixed with veggie flakes (fed 4x per week), once a week they got either frozen Daphnia, spirulina brine shrimp, or blood worms. Once a month I picked up some live black worms to give them. They also always ate off of my homemade snail food.
Kuhlis: sinking shrimp pellets are good for a staple (4x a week), mine ate off the algae wafers and snail food as well. I also gave them the same thing as the guppies (frozen Daphnia, spirulina brine shrimp, or blood worms) once a week fed with a turkey baster to make sure it got to the bottom of the tank for them to eat. Again once a month they got the live black worms.
ADFs: these guys are a little harder to make sure they get food as they don't see well and aren't very bright. We trained ours to eat pellets and bloodworms out of a sunken bottle cap so that they knew where it was every time. They got fed 3x a week in the evening and that is what worked best for us. We also made sure that they got the once per month black worms into their dish as well.

The main thing is to feed a good brand that doesn't have the main ingredient as "wheat" or something like that. If its a veg food you want the main ingredient to be "spirulina" or something like that. If you are feeding piscivores/insectivores/omnivores/invert feeders you want the first ingredient to be "fish meal," "Daphnia," or something along those lines. Not plant matter, not wheat, not sorgum etc.
ADFs are idiots, and particularly hard to feed, especially with active loaches. They move very slowly, and are not very aware of what is going on. Black worms in a turkey baster or the equivalent worked for mine until I rehomed them.

"Interestingly there's even a wild sub-species of molly that are ALL female and all reproduce asexually." -Livebearers are taking over the world!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
ADFs are idiots, and particularly hard to feed, especially with active loaches. They move very slowly, and are not very aware of what is going on. Black worms in a turkey baster or the equivalent worked for mine until I rehomed them.
Agreed with the frogs not being the brightest. Mine ended up getting switched to a 5 gallon with just the two of them, floating plants, and a little terra cotta cave so that we could see them and make sure they got enough food.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Okay. I'm starting to rethink the ADFs, cause my molly Inky is already a pain to feed.
The betta will get to Inky's food before Inky can get to them. My betta has pretty much proven that she is smarter and has better eyesight than Inky. I have to take A little water out of the tank, then put some betta flakes(which most fish can eat) in the container where the water was squeezed out, then suck it all up again, then deposit it where Inky can see it. Kinda complicated, cause with the betta all I have to do is drop in some pellets in the tank.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Agreed with the frogs not being the brightest. Mine ended up getting switched to a 5 gallon with just the two of them, floating plants, and a little terra cotta cave so that we could see them and make sure they got enough food.
Shoot, hope I didn't sound rude :( mine were really just that dumb.....lol.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Okay. I'm starting to rethink the ADFs, cause my molly Inky is already a pain to feed.
The betta will get to Inky's food before Inky can get to them. My betta has pretty much proven that she is smarter and has better eyesight than Inky. I have to take A little water out of the tank, then put some betta flakes(which most fish can eat) in the container where the water was squeezed out, then suck it all up again, then deposit it where Inky can see it. Kinda complicated, cause with the betta all I have to do is drop in some pellets in the tank.
Separate feeder rings. I have to do this for my sparkling gourami, who is the shyest, saddest eater I have ever freaking met in my life. Put one where your betta eats, and he'll stick to that area instead of fighting the molly in the other ring. Feed them at the same time, obviously. Make sure to have some sort of sight break between the rings, like floating plants or something, and it will work well for you I'm sure! I use a floating non-toxic pvc tube as a home for my gourami, and it serves well for separating faster eating fish from my slow, dumb guy :)

cheers.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks a lot! I also have a question. I have put a small Terra cotta pot in my fish tank for my betta to use because she is now constantly being picked on ( like actual picking ) by my molly! And my molly wont stop! My betta doesn't even use the Terra cotta pot and is constantly hiding! I have have heard that fish can die of stress, so can they die of depression too? What should I do?
Help!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Stress brings about all sorts of problems, and it can lead to illness and death. I'm surprised your betta hasn't fought back, but you might want to offer more plant cover for her to hide.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Thanks a lot! I also have a question. I have put a small Terra cotta pot in my fish tank for my betta to use because she is now constantly being picked on ( like actual picking ) by my molly! And my molly wont stop! My betta doesn't even use the Terra cotta pot and is constantly hiding! I have have heard that fish can die of stress, so can they die of depression too? What should I do?
Help!
I don't know if fish feel "depression" but they do feel stress and constant hiding is a sign of stress. Mollies and bettas have never done well together in my experience. Mollies are just too dang territorial, bettas get a bad reputation because of the "Siamese fighting fish" name, but they're not really that bad. More cover can help, or more mollies so that the focus will change away from the betta. But more than likely you're going to need to get a different tank for one or the other.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hmmmm. Well, I'm just going to hope that my molly's attention is divided when I get more fish. It has already gotten better since I got lemon tetras!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store