What can these fish eat? Experts on fish food needed!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hey, now that Iv'e bought the oto cats, and food for them, I'm having some trouble feeding them. I'm not sure if they see the algae wafers ( which blend in perfectly with my gravel ) but they keep swimming past it! They can smell it, I think. No loss though! My Molly absolutely LOVES them. She'l pick pick pick at them, then when anyone comes near, she'l chase them off. All the other fish seem to love them too. Which is the problem. The oto cats can't get to them! How can I get them to eat?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've never had luck with feeding ottos off of algae wafers. Look into the repashy (http://www.repashy.co.uk/) (that's the UK website, but they are available in the US too). I bought the soilent green from my LFS when I lived in WA and that was the only thing I could get them to eat.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hmm, I could try that! I'm just gonna let the algae grow for now until I get them to eat. How often ( once I find something they will eat ) Should I feed them?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Okay. For now I suppose I'll just try them with cucumber and see how it works. Thanks!

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hopefully it works for you, but I have my doubts. Mine wouldn't eat cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, squash, sushi nori, peas, or algae wafers. . . They're very picky little guys

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
They are, aren't they. Good news! They did like the cucumber after all! So I will follow your feeding time recommendations, and are they the same times with cucumber? Thanks!

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Every other day should be fine, but do try to get them some variety. Switch it up with other veggies if you can. Squashes and zucchini have more nutrients than cucumber so if you can get them to eat that it would be great. Also, I'm sure you're aware, but make sure to remove any uneaten fresh bits after about 4 hours or so or the water quality starts to deteriorate, especially in a 20 gallon tank.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Yep! I tried the zucchini with them and they like it fine. Thank you for all the advice!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Not sure about ottos, but I've had people tell me that their plecos LOVE sweet potato. Tossing this out because I know someone will set me straight if I'm wrong. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store