what cichlid could go in a 20 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I have an empty 20 gallon tank and I would love to keep cichlids. Are there any cichlid's that could live in a 20 gallon tank for life? I have always wanted cichlids but I always thought they needed large tanks like 50 gallons or more. The 20 gallon tank I have set up has been running for about 2 years and is established. I did have a baby bluegill in the tank (for about 3 or 4 days) but unfornately he jumped out of the tank. I'd be okay with just keeping one fish in the tank. The only cichlids I have kept before were bolivian rams so i'd like to try and keep something other than rams if possible. I am on a budget some unfornately money is a factor. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I think a 20 would be fine for a breeding pair of certain dwarf cichlids, or a single specimen as part of a community tank setup. Let us know what you water is like so you can get better recommendations for a specific species.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I usually keep the temperature at around 78 degrees (it's set to about 74 to 75 degrees right now because of the bluegill I had)
I haven't tested my water lately. I'll test my water later tonight and let you know what the results are. Now the 20 gallon tank I have is a 20 high so I would imagine that would make a difference.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Yes having a 20H changes things a little, not much though. Square inches(surface area/footprint) matters more than gallons(for most fish anyways) so having a twenty high means less space for the Cichlids to establish territories and have places to hide. I think it would still work with the right fish though.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I just tested my water and here are the results:
ph: between 7.0 and 7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
temperature: 75

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I would go for a pair of smiling Acara's, either Laetacara Dosrigera or Laetacara Curviceps. Both are beautiful and peaceful little fish who top out around 2 - 2 1/2 inches and are easy to keep and breed.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
If you don't mind raising the pH of your water, you could have a very nice colony of multifasciatus shell dwellers.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I would love to have shell dwellers but I don't know if my pet store could get them in or not. I'll have to do some research on them to see how many
i wouldn't mind raising the ph. are they expensive? i don't have a big budget unformately.
Are smiling Acaras hard to find? they look really nice.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have some juvie cutteri of various sizes from 1/2" fry to young adults on hand, one of those would be fine with the other fish in the 20 high for life. They're generally hardy fish, not inclined to hassle other species IME, males grow to about 5", females a bit smaller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store