what cichlid could go in a 20 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I would think apistos would also be an option, even though a 20L would be more ideal than a 20H.
While a 20 long may be preferrable for apistos, I think a 20 high can work. I have a breeding pair of Strawberry apistos in a 15 gallon(same footprint). It may cost more, but I would recommend starting with a pair of apistos. Also go with the "tank-raised" varieties rather than the wild ones, because they tend to be hardier.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Shell dwellers usually aren't very expensive. You could get 6 and let them pair up. Another bonus is that you could sell the fry for some extra cash.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I would definitely look for the small or dwarf cichlids. I definitely would not go bigger than say a Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, Salvini. If you could get a mating pair I think that would really be good. So to try and accomplish that you would probably have to purchase 4-6 1 inch babies and see if they pair off.

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Are smiling Acaras hard to find? they look really nice.
They should not be too hard to find but they are far from being real common. Laetacara curviceps is by far the most common of the smiling Acara's. The best part about them is that they are very peaceful.

I would definitely look for the small or dwarf cichlids. I definitely would not go bigger than say a Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, Salvini. If you could get a mating pair I think that would really be good. So to try and accomplish that you would probably have to purchase 4-6 1 inch babies and see if they pair off.
I would definitely not go down this road. JD's, Firemouths and Salvini's all get way too big for a 20 gallon and are all way too mean. They could not live in there for life and it would be cruel to do so. Save yourself the trouble and get something that you know can live in a 20 for life.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
A pair of convicts or a pair of angelfish would work in a 20H. Those are the largest cichlids I would do. It is possible to keep 2 yellow labs in a 20H. Because of the short footprint, and cichlids need for territory, there aren't many I would consider. I would lean more toward the micros such as the shell dwellers, rams, etc.

Shaysfishys

AC Members
Aug 22, 2011
Oregon
Think you would have great fun with shellys or L.curviceps.

My adult L.curiveps have a few extra male guppys living with them on a regular basis so with them you have the option fish swimming in the upper section of the tank. But shellys are great funny to watch. You could get some crushed coral to add to the tank to help raise your ph if you go the shelly route.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
Thanks for all of your opinions. I really appreciatei it. Sorry I didn't reply until now. I've been having internet issues lately.
Even though I would love to get an oscar or jack dempsey I know I can't get either of them until I get at least a 90 gallon tank or larger.
Right now I'll have to go with either the shell dwellers or the smiling acara. I'll do some more research on both of them and then see what pet stores near me carry them and how much they cost. With shell dwellers where do you get the shells? could you use hermit crab shells or is there a special type of shell that should be used?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store