what cichlid could go in a 20 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
You beat me to the punch on escargot shells. That's what I've used with both N. multifasciatus and N. brevis.

Another easy to care for, easily found cichlid is the Bolivian ram. They're slightly bigger than blue rams, much hardier, and more peaceful. Plus, they're very owner interactive. A single or pair would work fine in your tank.

FWIW, and your mileage may vary, but I've found L. curviceps to be much more peaceful than L. dorsigera. The dorsigera I've had have been a bit more on the aggressive side unless the tank is 30" plus in length.

Eric

jersysman

Member of the MTS Society
Mar 17, 2005
I remember years ago I was able to purchase shells online. There used to be a shell dwellers forum on line also, but I don't have the url for it right now. I bet you could google it. There is or was tons of information on that site about shellies.

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
I tried a few times the apistos in 20 gal and it is a frustrating endeavor.

Even the easy convict or krib pairs might turn on each other in such small settings.

I think 20 gal long is the minimum for apistos.

I never tried the shell dwellers. Sounds pretty cool. What do you put as dither with those?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
N. multifasciatus (or the very similar N. similis) don't need dithers. They'll harass dithers like a pack of wolves. They're Ienough fun by themselves...especially in a 20 long where with enough time the colony might split - I had two gangs in there warring over turf (no serious injuries, though). You'd be amazed how they will literally dig hills and change the terrain.

N. brevis in a 20 long would do best with dithers - they're head down threat posture is a hoot to watch. White clouds work well since they do fine in hard water as do most CA livebearers (platys and mollies do very well).

There is a killi in Lake Tanganyika that will work, you'd need to google it, though (can't recall the name) and they're not very common in the trade.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store