What do you feed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Frankly, I don't know what the difference is between betta specific food and community general food, as long as they're both high quality. I think that it's partially a marketing ploy so they can sell smaller quantities at similar/higher prices than high quality community foods, but haven't bothered to do a price per ounce comparison yet. As I'm sure you've seen, betta food tends to come in smaller quantities.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Yeah but when you only have a betta ... It makes more sense ... I wanted omega one in small enough pieces that my Betta could eat it and he eats so little ( about 8 pellets a day)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Yes my Betta is eating their Betta Buffet ... I will look and see if they have small pellets when I go back next week.

Btw ... Omega One VS NLS ... I don't see how NLS is better

NLS
MAIN INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin. GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 34% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

Omega One
Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Black Cod, Whole Heming, Seafood Mix(Including Krill, Shrimp and Octopus). Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-ascorbyl-2-poyphosphate (Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3, Ethoxyquin, Natural Mixed Tocopherals and Rosemary Extract (A preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:

• Crude Protein (min) 42.0%
  • Crude Fat (min.) 11.0%
  • Crude Fiber (max.) 2.0%
  • Moisture (max.) 8.5%
  • Ash (max.) 8.0%
  • Phosphorus (min.) 0.5%
  • Omega 3 (min.) 2.0%
  • Omega 6 (min.) 1.0%
This is exactly what I have been trying tell people for a long time now SNL is not appealing to me..and allot of it has copper in it witch will kill inverts...I feed Omega one flakes and pellets along with home made gel foods I make.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My betta readily takes flake food. I've got both TetraMin and Omega One. He also like the Omega One freeze dried blood-worms I got him, but seems to take the flakes better.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Not all copper is dangerous to inverts. In fact, they need some copper in their diets. Quantity and the specific form are what makes copper dangerous for inverts. I do know, for a fact, that if you have copper water lines, and you let water sit in there (don't use that faucet/spigot often) and try to use that to fill your tank after a water change, you will *definitely* start killing off inverts. Lost 9 of my first 14 RCS that way. Took a few weeks to figure it out. Now, I fill using a faucet that's used multiple times daily.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
what kind of snails do you have? They need food too. Algae wafers, sinking anything, an occasional weekend feeder for calcium, and fresh blanched veggies like zucchini and dark leafy greens (spinach or kale) are good for them. They need a varied diet, and one that is high in plant/veggie matter and calcium. Especially if they are the larger snails like mystery snails (p. diffusa), and bigger.

Emily

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
This thread was not about my snails lol I have another one about feeding them ... I am currently thinking omega one and adding some seashells to dissolve in the water until I have a chance to get kens with calcium

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
As I wrote in the newbie forum, not all fish food is created equally. Many simply list fish meal as the main ingredient. Many 'fish meals' are made simply from the waste of fish processing. These fish meals require copious amounts of starch in wheat, oat, soy or rice flour as binder/filler and to increase crude protein levels - often as the first or main ingredient. (This is not unlike some dog foods where corn or soy is the main ingredient!).
The better fish foods are made from fresh whole fish or at least fish meal made from whole fish (rather than waste products).
Buyer beware - Check the label!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store