what does everyone think about seachem matrix? has anyone tried it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
All I have heard/read about it is that seachem matrix is not a bad bio media. Has good quality. If you buy it as a really nice bio media, then go for it. If you expect it to magically turn all nitrate into nitrogen gas, then don't waste your money. Exporting nitrate takes a long time (compared to turning ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate). It will help some, but you still need to monitor your nitrates and have other ways to export nitrate (e.g. a refugium helps, or carbon dosing combined with skimming helps, water changes help).

nickolasb

AC Members
Nov 22, 2015
ware, massachusetts
Real Name
Nickolas
i wasnt expecting it to get rid of nitrates i know the best way for that is either an algae scrubber or constant wc's but i was just wondering if it had a good surface area for biological bacteria cause it looks pretty smooth to me but i've only ever saw it in a bottle i havent ever felt it yet.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Like I said, it is great bio media - good price for the quality it has. You won't be able to actually feel it as a lot of the surface area is inside - very very porous. I just mentioned the nitrate as Seachem uses that as the main marketing or advertising hype. For it to work for nitrate it needs a specific environment - in which case other bio media or live rock is not any worse performing.

Reactions: Gregg

Gregg

AC Members
Oct 29, 2013
California
I have used AAP/Seachem Matrix in many aquariums.

While I have not made any controlled study type observations, I have observed lower nitrates than before use. Did it solve every nitrate problem? No, but it did help and it definitely worked better than ceramic bio rings, and slightly better than volcanic rock too.
NPX bioplastics works even better for nitrates, but it takes a reactor or FSB filter to be placed in.

Ref. http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/07/aquarium-nitrates.html

Reactions: Duckie

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Gregg Gregg , what I have read is that indeed the matrix does make nitrates go down. Many people have posted that, especially after it came out and they switched over. The thing is that a good cleaning of the old media would have had a similiar effect. Can't clean it any better than switching old with brand new media. Long term effect is that seachem matrix was not clogging up as fast as other media. So it is easier to keep nitrates down because maintenance is easier compared to other media that needs cleaned more often.

Just like canister filters that can become a nitrate factory. But only if you don't invest the time to keep it clean. Same with bio balls - a possible horrible nitrate factory if never touched or cleaned.

Reactions: Gregg

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Gregg Gregg , what I have read is that indeed the matrix does make nitrates go down. Many people have posted that, especially after it came out and they switched over. The thing is that a good cleaning of the old media would have had a similiar effect. Can't clean it any better than switching old with brand new media. Long term effect is that seachem matrix was not clogging up as fast as other media. So it is easier to keep nitrates down because maintenance is easier compared to other media that needs cleaned more often.

Just like canister filters that can become a nitrate factory. But only if you don't invest the time to keep it clean. Same with bio balls - a possible horrible nitrate factory if never touched or cleaned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store