What exactly is a "show" quality fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Does it make sense for your average aquarium owner to have show quality fish in his/her tank? I for one admit I couldn't tell the difference between an average looking pet store fish and a show fish. All fish are going to have some type of imperfection right? If anyone has any pics of "show" fish vs. pet store fish please post.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Heres your answer: Show quality fish have Perfect marks as well as color for that species. No incorrect matking or flaws. Also, There will be genetic problems with this fi if you breed them. Mass produced fish "common fish" have many genetic problems with them and their marking arent nearly as nice...

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
bettaman: try this. go to www.cichlidscene.com Go to the "shows" link. cichlidscene has pictures of fish from many shows. If you highlight them, many have a description (1st place, did not place, etc.) That will give you an idea of "show quality fish".

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
The word 'Showfish' is usually referring to someones opinion on how nice the colors are, behaivor and all that good stuff... I mean I consider bettas to be a nice 'show' fish... Basically the ones that are always out in the open, ready to be seen: Discus, Angels, etc...

Theres my two cents... :D :D

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Show quality fish are considered prime examples of fish that best meet established standards for that fish. Standards are set by various organizations depending on the type of fish. Can fish be beautiful but deviate from show standards....absolutely!

Show quality fish typically undergo extensive line breeding to enhance and maintain specific characteristics. The downside is the line breeding decreased genetic variability and usually makes fish more prone to diseases and other ailments. The opposite is generally true for fish that are not line bred. (This excludes breeding programs that focus on health, disease resistance and similar characteristics.)

Fish that are show quality can occur without line breeding but their occurrence is much less predictable and less frequent than with line breeding.

Line breeding is a time and labor intensive science (and art) which costs money and is one reason why show quality fish cost more...sometimes much more. For example, show quality goldfish can typically range from $100 to $350 (or more) and show quality koi can run into the thousands of dollars.

Are show quality fish worth it? That depends on the individual aquarist. If you have developed a real interest in a particular species of fish, then moving to show quality examples could be worth it...especially if you can appreciate the characteristics that make the fish show quality.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Show fishes are usually bred by the lfs themselves,they feed special food,excellent filter and water,farm bred show fishes have their parents selected carefully to get a good batch of fry,they let the fry grow up along with special food and treatment,then select the best in the frys,for show some fishes,it is selected from the wild to prevent crossbreeding problems.Show fishes could also be huge fishes like a full grown red tailed catfish or an arapaima.

Last edited:

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I have a show RTBS. He is full grown and beautiful! I picked him when he was still barely an inch long, from a local breeder. The breeder was able to show me the simple, distinguishing characteristics that made my guy a show, as compared to other RTBS. He is much darker and brighter (tail). I wasn't able to see this difference at first, not until he was put next to a tank of other RTBS, the difference is very visible.

With my love for the RTBS, it was easy to spend the extra $$.

He is just beautiful. I don't have a pic of him yet, not at this size anyway, when I do, I'll be sure to post it. Too bad I just can't put him on the scanner... lololol.. :)

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
JeffP -- thanks for the info, that actually makes sense....

Decz -- I like RTBS's too, except I don't think there is any local breeders in my area..hurry and post those pics!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
For those of you who are following the "common fish" debate. The Show quality fish is NOT a common fish, it has genetic dna that makes it better then the rest of that type of fish. A normal goldfish is a common fish. A SHOW QUALITY GOLDFISH is not. I hope poeple like sarretooth and Panzi Gecko can see the difference :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store