What exactly is a "show" quality fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
show fishes are beautiful common fishes.Show fishes are specially bred to be beautiful,humans made the way they are,rare fishes are hard to find fishes because of nature,you get the picture.At least for most of the show fishes

Last edited:

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
It's like having a show quality dog or cat. A perfect example of the breed, or species, or whatever the particular type of critter is judged by. Whether you want one or not depends on whether you're willing to pay that much. Does it matter that much to you if the animal is show quality or not?

Personally, with a mutt of a dog and three cat-mutts, and tanks full of cheap LFS fish with irregularities, I think all my animals are perfect!

On the other hand... I have a spectacularly-colored snow corn snake. But only because she was at the pet store for the same price as all the others, lol.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I dont mean "rare" in nature. I mean "rare" as in hard to get...
There might be millions of this one type of fish swimming in a lake in africa, but if no one imports them, they would be rare to us..not in nature. Thats what I mean by Rare.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Show fishes don't happen by luck,it is by human bio engineering,they feed a fry bloodworms everyday or high quality pellets everyday till it grows to adulthood,guess what comes out.

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Thanks for observations guys but I still believe it's impossible to have anything perfect. Close to perfect yes, but perfect.....no. Standards set by humans which are imperfect cannot yield perfection. I know I'm getting carried away here.

crenicichla

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
I dont mean "rare" in nature. I mean "rare" as in hard to get...
There might be millions of this one type of fish swimming in a lake in africa, but if no one imports them, they would be rare to us..not in nature. Thats what I mean by Rare.
just to let you know, that made no sense.
nobody said anything about show fish being rare in the wild.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by Serrateeth_2002
Show fishes don't happen by luck,
it could. Definatly wont be reliable or as common as it would be with line-breed show fish, but its a good possibilty that one out of every so many fry will be show quality, despite the parents not being show quality fish themselves.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just my two cents. I show quality fish is one that displays beauty and perfection as defined by a certain set of standards. A show quality fish is usually a result of its gentetics and it's enviroment. Those two factors usually work together to produce the finest fish. You may find a "show" quality fish by chance because it has favourable genetics and was living in a good enviroment, or you can purposely breed one through gene munipulation and by providing it with an excellent enviroment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store