What exactly is a "show" quality fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
I had to jump in here. JeffP, Slip and the Mighty Pixie hit the nail on the head. It's just a good looking fish that meets the standards set by the judges. Something as crazy as the fish not coming to the front of the tank (depertment) will deduct points from the overall total of an otherwise perfectly beautiful specimen. Generally the judges will be versed in that particular type fish and judge size and appearance accordingly. A missing scale or tiny nip out of a fin could be enough to knock it out of the winners circle.

Jamison: Your comments about "genetic flaws" if you breed the fish could only possibly happen if you continued to line breed a fish for many generations with it's own progeny. A common Goldfish can be a show quality Goldfish if it is in good shape and has the qualities the judges are looking for. Their is no special "genetic soup" other than the genes that makes that particular fish appealing.

Serrateeth: If you ever see an Arapima Gigas at a fish show...call me. It won't happen. One of the criteria used for judging is against the size...adult size...of the fish. They knock off the majority of points if it is smaller than the average adult. Same will hold tru for a Red Tail Cat. You are using the term "bio-engineering" a little out of context. No one is swapping DNA with a microscope to make the perfect fish. They are giving good condidtions and quality food.

Here's an interesting debate. Inorder to preserve the fins and qualtiy of say ...a gourami...you can scoop it out of your home tank in a big container and never touch the fish...perfect fins. If you enter a big fish like an Umbee...how would you do that and preserve it's mint condidtion. It would be tough to net an Arapima. See my point?

crenicichla: Good looking Citrinellum. Unfortunatel what I have been told is that the judges like the pure bright red colors. Stupid...I know...but I found out the hard way. I entered a fish with similar coloration at an ACA convention. The judge gave me that little tid bit after the show.

Just out of curiosity...how many people here have actually entered a fish in a show? Serateeth? Jamison? Anyone?

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I tried but the entrance cost was high,$80 per fish.i have been to one,fishes are extraodinary,there are alot of fish shows here,I admit i am wrong about the arapaima gigas but not the red tail,what's weird is that it is in a tank in a food court but don't get me wrong it is not for eating,just for show,depends on the definitions of show fishes,normal fishes in huge schools is impressing,show fishes are used to impress customers in case of lfs,in fish shows or competition,it is colour,finnage and like MoJo said personality.This is another of the many routes questions.

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
By "show fish" I mean one that you can enter in a contest. Rules generally dictate that they will supply a tank up to ten gallons. Beyond that you bring your own. Exactly what size tank would you drag to a show that would be big enough to house a Red Tail Catfish. And since "adult size" if the yardstick used to measure the entry...that would make the size of a suitable Red Tail catfish around 48". Kind of big for a ten gallon tank.

Eighty bucks! What show was this? Most are around $2.50 or $5 an entry. And I didn't say "personality". A fish is only percieved as having such a human trait. I said "deportment". If the fish doesn't hide and comes to the front of the tank while the judge is examining it.

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
So it's rare but I could have a show quality fish in my tank right now! LOL, I don't know if they grade white clouds, panda cories and clown loaches.

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
Originally posted by bettaman
So it's rare but I could have a show quality fish in my tank right now! LOL, I don't know if they grade white clouds, panda cories and clown loaches.
Yes, you might...and yes they do. It's an interesting hobby. Try and find a show and attend. It will hook you. No pun intended.

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
Before my RTBS was full grown I entered him in 3 different shows. He placed 2nd once, I was in a cloud for days! lol! He didn't like the travelling though, so I gave that up pretty quickly.

Im not sure I would ever really enter another fish in a show, for me, it is a lot of work, and for the fish, just too much stress. I would have been just devastated had something happened to him.

crenicichla

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Just out of curiosity...how many people here have actually entered a fish in a show? Serateeth? Jamison? Anyone?
Hey MO, dont know if you remember but i was going to bring my Marmorata to Atlanta but She hit her eye on the crossbrace in her tank and it was slightly busted open, but i think i still could have beat those Saxatillis :rolleyes:

thats as close as i have been to entering anything into a show but next aca im going to enter my atabapo's if there not sold, the red on them is becoming extremely bright (the little pikes i got from clay)

-Drew ;)

oh yeah, thats clay's devil.

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
Drew...buddy. Didn't know it was you. I remember now. Barlow was the one who told me about the coloration on the Citrinellum. I entered one in Jersey. Same Piebald markings.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I dont do fish shows. Why? not my thing.
1.) dont want to spend the entrance fee's
2.) dont want to give my fish added stress.
3.) the fish I own are not in any competitions I dont think?

Just not interested. Now if there is an award for OVERALL Tank Look... I would add my tanks. However RTR's Tanks will always beat mine in the near future anyway....

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
JamisonBWolsh you should check out a couple of shows, you might change your mind.

1) I'm sure the couple of dollars isn't going break the bank
2) If done properly and with care the fish will be a.ok
3) If its a fish then there is a venue to show it

There are also contests for tanks... these are generally done by photographs for obvious reasons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store