What filter in 75gal tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jglove276

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
Are there any preference on what type of filter to use on a 75 gal tank. I am looking at either a power filter that may be included with the tank or I was considering a canister filter. Are there pros and cons between the two. Of course I’m looking for superior water quality but I must consider ease of use as well.

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
I really like the Rena XP3 for ease of use, durability, power, filtration, cycling, easy to clean, and I have 3 of them - one on each 75 gallon tank and another one for a 40 breeder.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I'd go with a canister for the superior media capacity. I like power filters, but I think they work best on tanks under 55g. Personally, I would have both, canister as primary and power filter as a backup/quick-start-for-QT.

As to what brand, it's a personal choice, but Marineland C-series (I have a C360 on my 75g, love it!), Eheim, Fluval, and Rena are all pretty well regarded. There are others that don't have the reputation yet, such as Sunsun, but those 4 are the top dogs right now.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
I too have a Rena XP3 on each of my 75g tanks. I also run two Penguin 350 HOB's on them as well :)

jglove276

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
I'd go with a canister for the superior media capacity. I like power filters, but I think they work best on tanks under 55g. Personally, I would have both, canister as primary and power filter as a backup/quick-start-for-QT.
That’s great I didn’t think of having both for that reason thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store