What filter in 75gal tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i run a wet/dry filter on all my tanks over 50G and i use a hot mag on each one and my water stays crystal clear and maintance on a wet dry is about as simple/fast as it gets.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I'd have to go with an hob. The only reason/time I use anything else is in a planted tank with pressurized CO2- and even then, not always.

They are simple, inexpensive, easy to check on and easy to clean.

With a sump/wet dry there is a lot than can go wrong since it is not a closed system and climbing under the tank for maintenance aint that easy. Unless you have your overflow box on a float system any change in water level will change the flow of the filter. I found mine to be a TOTAL PITA and now its in the attic.

A canister must be removed from the system to clean it out- also under the tank.
A hob - just pull out the media and push is back in. Couldn't be simpler. No hoses to connect or disconnect, no syphon to stop. no climbing in and out of the stand. If you need to prime it, just slide off the plastic top and pour the water in. They are a million times easier and cheaper than my canisters or wet/dry. If it weren't for needing to keep down the surface turbulance (CO2), they are the only things I would use.

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
i have a fluval 405 on my 75 gal and my water is always pristine.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
These threads are funny. Everyone just spouts off their favorite model and brand.

How about we try to reduce the list down a bit with these questions.

What is your budget?

What type of stocking do you have?

Is it planted or non-planted?

How important is noise to you?

How often difficult of setup do you want to do?

HOB's (hang on the back) filters are generally cheaper, louder, easy to setup, and easier maintenance. They also have limited configurations and smaller media space available. They are also not good for planted tanks if you are running CO2.

Canisters are the quietest, more difficult to setup and maintain, more expensive, and contain more media space. They have many different configurations and large media baskets.

Wet-Dry. Has the most media space, is expensive to setup, but has very little maintenance requirements. They can also be the most difficult to setup and require the most space under the tank. You also sometimes get the sound of running water with them and some motor noise.

BTW I run a Magnum 350 and C-360 on my 125. The combo works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store