What Is The Best Way To Set Up A Sump Filter System?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I’m planning to get up a 90 gallon tank. I’m still deciding whether I should use canister filter or set up a sump system.

If I get my first sump is it better to buy a complete system rather than DIY? What specific feature should I get for the sump? How many dividers should I have for the sump?

Do I have a drill a hole on the bottom of my tank? How does your tank filter input and output design look like? Do i have to adjust the tank output flow rate to the sump to the same flow rate as the sump pump?

I’m using the 4’ JC&P LED light for $47 for my 90 gallon
https://www.amazon.com/JC-Aquarium-...teway&sprefix=aquarium+l,aps,153&sr=8-12&th=1

Jul 11, 2019
What is the stocking. For a sump you can just get an old tank or use a large tub, I would recommend three sections for the sump. 1 for mechanical filtration, 1 for biological media, and 1 for the return. Do you have an overflow? I would recommend getting an overflow, in which case you only need 1 pump. This would be the easiest way to make a sump. You can also get an overflow box, too.

Reactions: lampro

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Trying to match pumping water from tank to sump and sump back to tank is a recipe for disaster. you will need either a drilled tank with some sort of built-in overflow, or there are hang-on-back overflows you can purchase. You can also build a basic one from PVC pipe, if you do a search a few people here have created them, myself included. That way, once you set the overflow height in the tank, water will leave the tank at the same rate it is pumped in.

As far as building vs. buying, a lot of that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. You can built a basic wet/dry sump filter very easily and cheaply. If you are not very handy, buying something pre-made could be a better option.

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I saw a few youtube videos on how to set up a sump. So i guess i need an overflow box, sump, and pump for the sump?
I am planning to use an overflow box that does not need to drill a hole in my tank. Does that mean i need a siphon break for the overflow tubing? to get the air out?
I am also planning to get the sponge section, bio media section, do i need two sections for the sump input and output?
How do you usually clean the sump?

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
What is the stocking. For a sump you can just get an old tank or use a large tub, I would recommend three sections for the sump. 1 for mechanical filtration, 1 for biological media, and 1 for the return. Do you have an overflow? I would recommend getting an overflow, in which case you only need 1 pump. This would be the easiest way to make a sump. You can also get an overflow box, too.
im thinking about getting a red arrowana and a polka dotted stingray or maybe a red tail catfish!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I saw a few youtube videos on how to set up a sump. So i guess i need an overflow box, sump, and pump for the sump?
I am planning to use an overflow box that does not need to drill a hole in my tank. Does that mean i need a siphon break for the overflow tubing? to get the air out?
I am also planning to get the sponge section, bio media section, do i need two sections for the sump input and output?
How do you usually clean the sump?
some overflow boxes have a port for a piece of airline with a check valve to start the siphon. Alternatively, you can snake a piece of airline up into one end and suck the air out that way.

Jul 11, 2019
im thinking about getting a red arrowana and a polka dotted stingray or maybe a red tail catfish!
Holy moly dude, a red arowana needs close to 400 gallons and a red tail catfish needs a few THOUSAND gallons. If you want those fish, you need to build a large pond/tank, like 3,000 gallon tank

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I am worried that if the flow suddenly stop for the hang on back flowbox then it would be a disaster. would it possibly happen?
what is your pump flow rate per hour? How do you clean your sump? and how often do you clean it?

I might get 150 gallon then, it will be enough for a single arrowana. i seen so many fish stores keeping them in 100 gallon. im gonna get a juvenile size anyways def way more than enough
i want like a bottom dwelling fish to keep with arrowana. what else can i get?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just as a note, stores generally do not carry fish in an aquarium that best suits it's (long term) needs.

They prefer easy for shoppers to see, and easy to catch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store