What is the easiest way to clean this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Thank you Aviva90. I will look at Petsmart or something like that. I see what your saying... its like a suction pump ..
Yup, they work great. And about the live plants, I have a couple medium-heavily planted tanks and I still use the gravel vac (then again mine is also very heavily stocked). Good luck and never be afraid to ask a question! And the ball one is cool, but also they have regular ones that have a flap in the vac parts so all you have to do is move it up and down a couple times under water and it starts the siphon for you, sucking the end of the tube isn't to bad tho, I never really minded it and I have one that starts the siphon for you and I still end up sucking the tube because it's easier for me. Just my 2 cents... don't know if that actually helped any

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
One last stocking question... If I get a few more plants... and my water levels stay this good.... Would it be posibble to get another gourami? I kinda want a fire one?? or will I be over stocking at that point?

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
You should be fine, you would have to watch for the last gourami added for bullying tho. Live plants are a great way to add health and vitality to your tank, and gives more leniency on stocking. Simple plants like java fern, anacharis, and anubius literally need nothing but the light that came with your tank and fishes poop.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I am horrible with liters to gallons so I am not really sure how big your tank is. But two gourami will end up fighting. I had 2 and it was sad to watch one just gets mean and starts beating the other. I had to return both eventually because the mean one just ended up getting mean to everyone else once he learned he is the dominant fish.

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
Aviva90 I had no idea the plant roots eat poop lol I knew they were good for the tank!

Bradlg21... I dont want any fighting in my peaceful tank :( what about a yellow take guppie???

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Haha "eat poop" is the simplest way to put it, the poop gets broken down into various nutrients that then get absorbed by the plants, such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
With the guppy, I believe the gouramis would consider it a yummy snack unfortunately (perhaps I am wrong about this, I know they love to munch guppy fry as tasty treats) and they are schooling, so they are happiest in groups of 5 or more, and you have to be careful to get all one gender unless you want to have a guppy fry infested tank (which, again with gouramis I doubt will happen)

iluvglowfishys

AC Members
Dec 7, 2011
I just looked on some compatiblity sites.. says I could add glofish. So maybe I will do this in a month or so. Going to check out those plants you listed Aviva... I had one plant with a "pine" look that just turned brown and died :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store