What's the best way to Euthanise a Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Just yesterday I found my Blue Peacock sitting on one of my filters with a little bit a of white fuzzy stuff around it's head and gills. His fins were ripped and he was having trouble swimming. I put him in my QT and added some salt to the water, raised the temp to about 29 degrees celcius and put in some medicine that does a bit of everything. (Fungal, Bacterial, Parasitic etc). But that morning he was swimming fine and I couldn't see anything wrong with him.

I woke up today and now he is swimming upside down, side to the side and everywhere. His fins are worse and his swim bladder is pretty much destroyed by the look of him. He is in so much pain and is probably going to die anytime soon but if he doesn't I'll have to Euthanise him. :(

What is the best way to euthanise a small 3-4 inch fish? I read somewhere that putting them in a cointainer of ice cold water is a good way, putting the fish in alcohol is also a good way. What other ways I can do this that cause minimum pain and stress in a short period of time? And does my fish have Fin Rot or something else?

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I would check the article section, I'm pretty sure I saw a good article there about humanely euthanising fish.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I use euthasol. You add the fish to a container wiht a set amount of water then add the drops of euthasol and swirl gently. This puts them asleep. You add a second lethal dose. You can also put a container of water in the freezer until a slight skin forms, break a hole, add the fish, and freeze until solid (overnight). I prefer euthasol.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I've used clove oil. The freezer method sounds cruel to me. JMHO.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I use euthasol. You add the fish to a container wiht a set amount of water then add the drops of euthasol and swirl gently. This puts them asleep. You add a second lethal dose. You can also put a container of water in the freezer until a slight skin forms, break a hole, add the fish, and freeze until solid (overnight). I prefer euthasol.
So it's pretty much painless. What's euthasol and where can I get it?

cptkd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
I've had to euthanize a fish in the past, and I chose to do it with the clove oil.
Much easier, less stress, and he's topped off with a shot of vodka, and so what could be better than that!
Freezing him to death seems to me, to be rather stressful, and I'm thinking a little cruel. How does it feel when you're outside and it's so **** cold out. Imagine dying in that?

Again, IMO - I'd go with the clove oil - It's cheap and there's a site that gives you the exact directions on how to do it. My little guy simply went to sleep, and then I made that permanent with the alcohol (vodka)

Good luck either way you choose to do it -
And I send my sympathies to you - I know it's not a pleasant place to be in!

cptkd

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
I've had to euthanize a fish in the past, and I chose to do it with the clove oil.
Much easier, less stress, and he's topped off with a shot of vodka, and so what could be better than that!
Freezing him to death seems to me, to be rather stressful, and I'm thinking a little cruel. How does it feel when you're outside and it's so **** cold out. Imagine dying in that?

Again, IMO - I'd go with the clove oil - It's cheap and there's a site that gives you the exact directions on how to do it. My little guy simply went to sleep, and then I made that permanent with the alcohol (vodka)

Good luck either way you choose to do it -
And I send my sympathies to you - I know it's not a pleasant place to be in!

cptkd
Yeah, the clove oil method with a bit of really strong alcohol seems to be the best. Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store