Whats the strangest combination of fish you've seen in a tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
My guess is that the fish's lives would be cut short.
I really don't know... maybe- although I think Goldfish were originally found in brackish areas- and Mollies are found in some coastal areas.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I see that quite often here, but room temp. is 25-35 most of the year so people figure they can get away with having the two types of fish together i guess.
Not figure. This is possible. Most fish can tolerate a wide range of temperature without the other's health and welfare being compromised. In the tropics, mosquitoes are quite prominent. Most goldfish ponds have guppies added to help with the mosquito control aside from the use of submersible pumps as mosquitoes are attracted to water easily. Heck, my pond has some goldfish and numerous guppies at the moment. The other pond has undergone cleaning until I can stock it again after discovering my senegal bichir as the culprit for my mysterious losses with the pearlscale goldfish as my latest losses. I was not aware I still have a bichir as it had been in the pond for two years.:pc:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I really don't know... maybe- although I think Goldfish were originally found in brackish areas- and Mollies are found in some coastal areas.
I don't think the genes of goldfish today are nearly as "tough" as their carp ancestors.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I saw a youtube video with oscars,a green terror,a pacu, different types of catfish,and discus of all things.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
One of my two cycling feeder fish apparently passed away in the midst of my 6 labs and 5 blue Kenyi. One day he was swimming and eating chummy with the whole group and the other albino feeder and two Cory cats, and the next day he was just mostly skeleton. I figure he must have just passed cause there have been no singes of aggression toward the feeder behavioral or physiologically. Toward each other now Blue Keni's on Kenyi's and Labs on Labs there is non stop sparing. But I have enough hiding places, caves and thick fake plants to keep them playing hide and seek all day. I diden't know these fish bite whenever I stick my hand in they don't nibble they grab my skin on and jerk, where's the respect lol.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
From what I can understand Mollies and some Guppies can live in full salt water. Goldfish can do okay in Brackish conditions. Clown fish, I believe are tolerant of less than full-strength salinity.

So even without "magic water" some combinations of salties/freshies are perfectly achievable.
The species of Mollies normally kept in aquaria are M. sphenops, latipinna, velifera and hybrids thereof. These fish are actually brackish to marine fish that can tolerate freshwater. There are lots of other species that aren't as frequently seen that are true FW fish. You will never see a more beautiful Sailfin Molly than one kept in a SW tank!

armada

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I just saw in a craigslist post 3 Oscars, 2 Tinfoil Barbs, 2 Bala Sharks, 1 Common Pleco, and 1 Clown Knife.

In a 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store